• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift Gate Handle replacement

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tools needed: Pliers, Drill w/assorted bits, 7/16" wrench, WD-40

I got tired of crawling through the cab to open my lift gate but couldn't find a write up for an 84.
I started at the Junkyard and found a handle off an Exploder. I already had the panel off but this step consists of removing about 10 screws.
Getting the handle out was a breeze. There are just 2 metal clips holding the handle/lock combo in the door.
I removed the handle and had to drill a couple of holes on either side of the lock hole. I used the backing plate for my new handle as a template. The center hole has to be the same size as the one in the template. Not sure of the size. The 2 holes on the sides have to be about half an inch. Again not sure of the size.
Then it is just a matter of installing the new handle where you made the holes. I also had to spray the lock mechinism with WD-40 to get the window to release.
I hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
would have taken the easy route and got one from another b2 instead of an explorer.
All b2 hatch handle is the same the only difference is that some have it where you can open a window and some don't. And that's why you could not find a write up about this subject just on an 84 b2. The handles are interchangeable from year to year just depends on if you have a window that opens or not that's the only difference in the handles. Ones with the window that open will say gate on one side and window on the other side. And the one that don't have a window that opens will say gate and that's it.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't find any B2's around here that are worth picking through. All the ones I found had already been scavenged so this was the next best thing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals