• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacement driveshaft question.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Replacement driveshaft question. Picture added

had my wife pick up a replacement driveshaft for my 86 bronco II.

Had the gkn, found a double cardan off a 87 at the salvage yard.

I measured the length of the gkn while it was still on mine, asked him to do the same, flange to flange, to make sure it would work.

Long story short, I pull a drive shaft out of a box that has the correct flange on one end, the "big" end, and nothing on the other end. Just the last u joint and four smaller threaded holes.

My question is, what part do I need, or , what is it called.

Is it something I'm going to be able to get at the parts store or is this going to be a wonderful salvage yard scavenge hunt.

It makes me want to bite the head off of a kitten when I have to deal with oblivious morons. I want to drive to the guys house and knock on his door and throw a huge glass of ice water in his face, and ask him if that helped wake him up. I guess you could call that Bronco Rage. ha. We had a five minute conversation about what I was doing, what parts I needed etc, etc. You cant tell me he grabbed that off the shelf, boxed it up, and it never occured to him that the flange was missing off one end.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Josh

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will need a flange and a strap kit. These are actually parts you have laying around already, you just don't realize it.

The front and rear flanges should be the same, so you can take the one off the axle end of the old shaft.

If not, a driveline shop and the parts store should be able to get you the stuff that you are looking for. Probably cost less than $40.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man.

I'll have to swing by the parts store tomorrow. I don't have the parts because I am replacing the gkn style with the double cardan from the salvage yard.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here is the end I need the parts for. Still haven't found any specific name for what I need.

The other end is all set up and ready to bolt on.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What you actually need is the yoke off the transfer case. '83 and '84 Bronco II's and Rangers commonly had that style of yoke, where as the later trucks have the flat bolt on flange, similar to what you have on your rear axle. I am sure a driveline shop would be able to order the yoke but it will probably be $100+ - check the junkyard again and see if they have it, if not, I have a spare transfer case that I could pull the yoke off of for you.

Edit - don't blame the guy from the junkyard, the t-case yoke is NOT part of those drivelines, although it is required for the swap... I'd have given you the same parts if you asked for just the driveline. This stuff is not exactly common knowledge.

Last edited:

jdflatten

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses guys.

I ended up taking it back.

Went to Nordstroms and got the exact same drive shaft. Same year, length everything. Both flanges intact.

10 minutes, and abra cadabra, drive shaft issues over.

Nordstroms are always about 20 bucks more on their stuff, but by god, they have customer service, and I always, always, get what I need.

Thanks again guys.

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I think I have a same issue as the original poster. My crappy GKN driveshaft went out this weekend on the interstate. So today I went to the you pull and got the only non-GKN driveshaft they had on a B2. It was out of a 88 4x4 auto and mine is an 89 rwd 5 speed, however lengths look to be in the ball park... hard to tell since I have the wrong yoke.
Here's what I'm dealing with:

So is this my only solution, swap the yoke on the transfer case from flange to other, or is there an adapter out there somewhere? What all is involved in that process? Never attempted that before. I have searched for a local driveshaft/driveline shop but haven't run across anything yet. Thanks for the help guys

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Okay, so I think I have a same issue as the original poster. My crappy GKN driveshaft went out this weekend on the interstate. So today I went to the you pull and got the only non-GKN driveshaft they had on a B2. It was out of a 88 4x4 auto and mine is an 89 rwd 5 speed, however lengths look to be in the ball park... hard to tell since I have the wrong yoke.
Here's what I'm dealing with:

So is this my only solution, swap the yoke on the transfer case from flange to other, or is there an adapter out there somewhere? What all is involved in that process? Never attempted that before. I have searched for a local driveshaft/driveline shop but haven't run across anything yet. Thanks for the help guys
Swap the yoke, it involves removing the nut that holds it on, pulling the yoke off, and putting it on your t-case. Might need a 3 jaw puller to get the yoke off, sometimes they are stuck on pretty well.

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know what size that nut is? Biggest socket I have is 1"... its gotta be 1-1/8" at least if not bigger...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No idea, the ones I have dealt with were 1-3/8 and 1-5/16 - on NP 205 t-cases though. Hit up the pawn shops and see if you can find large sockets - it is probably metric BTW - maybe 30mm?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals