• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bought a new (to me) ranger

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so after selling my last one a couple years ago and regretting it. I finally found another one (actually even more what I wanted finally).

bought a 1996 extended cab 3.0 5speed red exterior and grey interior for $600 yesterday. get this, 458,000 miles on it haha.

runs good but has a check engine light for evap leak (go figure with 450k on the clock the vacuum lines are rotted haha).

couple questions since I've forgotten by now...

1. how do you check abs codes? Its got that light on as well most likely for a wheel sensor or 3.

2. it doesnt have a tach, I cant stand not having a tach. can I get a tach cluster from any ranger in this year range or does it have to be from a 3.0 ranger to read correctly?

3. heater core is bypassed but a/c works great. I can refill the a/c no problem but would rather not have to if I dont need to. can the heater core be replaced without having to drain the a/c to get the heater box out?

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
wow... 458k, youre brave to put money into that thing!

but if it doesnt have a lot of rust, it can be a good truck. parts are cheap and plentiful!

look on rockauto.com for everything first. they usually have what you need. if you cant get a factory plug-in tach, just buy an aftermarket one.

the ABS light means your truck fixed itself. ABS sucks on these old vehicles. I got tired of winter driving, hitting the brakes and the damn truck simply wouldn't stop... I intentionally disabled ABS and now the truck stops when I want it to.

Evap leak can also be a bad gas tank cap. Check that first.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
body is perfect and rust free. once the engine or trans gives out, I've got a spare drivetrain from my mustang thats going to go in there. in the meantime I'm just going to fix stuff. I will likely never get rid of this truck. I will always need a bed to haul stuff around and I really dont want to mess around with a trailer.

one odd problem is that for some reason I cant connect to the ecu through the obd port. I checked all the fuses and none are blown so I'm kind of at a loss.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
one odd problem is that for some reason I cant connect to the ecu through the obd port. I checked all the fuses and none are blown so I'm kind of at a loss.
My Explorer (94) has this problem. My problem was squirrels (chewing wires). I thought I had everything back together, but even the FORD techs couldnt get it working correctly. I can jumper the CEL and count the flashes, but my code reader doesnt communicate with the vehicle through the port no longer. Start tracing wires.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
day #2

pulled both radiator hoses off and yup, no t-stat in it. explains the coolant gauge barely ever moving.

pulled both hoses off and used a hose to flush the radiator and the block the best I could. fresh coolant and a new temp sender and all is well. it heats up nice and hold temp really good.

I whipped out the pressure washer while I was flushing it out and cleaned the engine and the suspension and as a bonus, the abs light went off. most likely the wheel sensor that was freaking out was caked in goo from the power steering which I will address in the near future. P.O. was actually using automatic transmission fluid in it. sigh. I know its all "almost" the same but seriously, dollar general? yup, the bottle was still wedged over by the battery.

cleaned the maf sensor as well while I was at it.

its amazing! it cranks up immediately, the idle doesnt hunt anymore, and it idles at operating temp. its amazing what a $5 sensor, $12 in antifreeze, $16 for a thermostat and gasket, and some time and effort does.

hell, even the alternator isnt wobbling at idle anymore.

will probably grab a tach cluster out of an explorer from the u-pull tomorrow.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
400K+ seems a little high in the mileage department but if the body is in great shape and the interior is in good condition and with a few simple fixes to make it a daily driver why the hell not. These older RBV's are at least for me enjoyable to drive and not too bad to maintain. Having the manual transmission in your truck is probably why its got 400K+ on it, not much to fail other than clutch & related components, if the PO drove it properly the transmission will probably last forever. May want to change the fluids including the differential and transmission.

I have sunk quite a bit of money into my 88 Bronco 2 I picked up last summer and been driving it quite a bit and really enjoying it. Still have a few small things I'm working on just waiting for good weather to do many of those things.

I believe you would need a gauge cluster from a 3.0 truck otherwise the gauges wouldn't work properly. At least you could always just install an aftermarket tach.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I went looking on ebay yesterday and it seems all the gauge clusters are universal from 95-01 for rangers and explorers. I want to say I remember actually putting a cluster from an explorer in my old 2.3 ranger....I will likely be finding out in a week or two lol.

not really worried about the rearend much as I will just bide my time until an 8.8 traction lock from a 4wd ranger pops up in the u-pull and swap that in like I did on my last one.

the biggest thing is figuring out why I cant hook to the ecu through the obd2 connector. once I get that hashed out I will be happy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals