• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 2WD Transmission

TSpeedTriple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys - I'm finding mixed information on whether or not my stock 5-speed manual will work with a 5.0.

From the tech articles I think I'm reading that a combination of an adaptor plate and some Macgyvering will get the job done, but from searching on the forums I've seen some say that if I want to keep a manual i'll have to switch out to one from a F150.

Can someone confirm whether or not the Mazda 5-speed will work/handle the power?

Thanks
- Chris

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No stock Ranger 4cyl or V6 transmission will match a V8 engines bolt pattern, (302/5.0l or other), and there is no adapter plate for that, nor would you want to use one, trans would fail sooner than later with the V8's power

1990 and up Rangers all had the M5OD-R1 manual transmission, it has an integrated Bell Housing, so a trans from 2.3l engine will not fit on 3.0l or 4.0l Ranger engine, nor will a 3.0l trans fit a 4.0l engine, internally the transmissions are the same but the outer case is engine specific.

And of course none will fit any V8.

Ford used the M5OD-R2 in full size trucks, this is a slightly larger, heavier duty manual transmission.
These were used with V8's but also the 4.2l V6 from 1997 and up on Full size Ford trucks, the 4.2l engines from 1997 and up used the same bolt pattern for transmission as the 302/5.0l engines.
So 4.2l trans will bolt to 5.0l engine

And in 1997 the M5OD-R2 was modified and the shifter was moved farther back on the transmission, making it within 2" of the M5OD-R1 shifter placement in Rangers, so Plug 'n Play.
Older M5OD-R2 had shifter farther forward so new hole was needed in floor board and custom bent shift arm to clear dash board was needed in Ranger swap

Any transmission is either 2WD or 4WD and in most cases can not be converted from one to the other without disassembly.
Some require less disassembly than others but it is always best to get what you need as stock.
So if you want 2WD trans then get a 2WD trans

If you are doing a 2WD 5.0l V8 conversion into a Ranger then you want a 1997(or newer) M5OD-R2 from a 4.2l V6 engine, found in 2WD F-150 1997 to 2008, also in E-150(vans) from 1997 to 2005

Last edited:

TSpeedTriple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No stock Ranger 4cyl or V6 transmission will match a V8 engines bolt pattern, (302/5.0l or other), and there is no adapter plate for that, nor would you want to use one, trans would fail sooner than later with the V8's power

1990 and up Rangers all had the M5OD-R1 manual transmission, it has an integrated Bell Housing, so a trans from 2.3l engine will not fit on 3.0l or 4.0l Ranger engine, nor will a 3.0l trans fit a 4.0l engine, internally the transmissions are the same but the outer case is engine specific.

And of course none will fit any V8.

Ford used the M5OD-R2 in full size trucks, this is a slightly larger, heavier duty manual transmission.
These were used with V8's but also the 4.2l V6 from 1997 and up on Full size Ford trucks, the 4.2l engines from 1997 and up used the same bolt pattern for transmission as the 302/5.0l engines.
So 4.2l trans will bolt to 5.0l engine

And in 1997 the M5OD-R2 was modified and the shifter was moved farther back on the transmission, making it within 2" of the M5OD-R1 shifter placement in Rangers, so Plug 'n Play.
Older M5OD-R2 had shifter farther forward so new hole was needed in floor board and custom bent shift arm to clear dash board was needed in Ranger swap

Any transmission is either 2WD or 4WD and in most cases can not be converted from one to the other without disassembly.
Some require less disassembly than others but it is always best to get what you need as stock.
So if you want 2WD trans then get a 2WD trans

If you are doing a 2WD 5.0l V8 conversion into a Ranger then you want a 1997(or newer) M5OD-R2 from a 4.2l V6 engine, found in 2WD F-150 1997 to 2008, also in E-150(vans) from 1997 to 2005

Awesome thanks Rob for the information! Assuming I'll need new mounts - will the ones from the f150 work or will I need to get a special one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome thanks Rob for the information! Assuming I'll need new mounts - will the ones from the f150 work or will I need to get a special one?

the stock ranger manual transmission mount will bolt to the m5r2 transmission.

TSpeedTriple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the stock ranger manual transmission mount will bolt to the m5r2 transmission.

Thank you for the information. Do you know if the stock camshaft will be the proper length if I find the transmission from a 2wd manual?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the information. Do you know if the stock camshaft will be the proper length if I find the transmission from a 2wd manual?

Do you mean the driveshaft? If so then yes. It will work just fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals