• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 F350 7.3L Powerstroke died while driving

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
While I'm asking questions, might as well ask another :).

Was towing a measly 5000 pounds including trailer 30 miles from home and the truck started loosing power, first wouldn't go over 45, then 35, then 25 and I started to panic so I pulled off the road and it stalled and wouldn't restart. It kinda sounded like it wanted to start at first but sounded like the timing was off as it was extra rattly but never caught then it stopped doing anything but cranking. While it was slowing down it ran perfectly normal just zero power, no missing, no check engine light or other lights.

That's roughly the extent of my troubleshooting, but here's some notes:
-replaced the valve cover gaskets with injector harnesses about a year ago with Napa versions
-Re sealed the fuel bowl last winter, filter looked fine and pulled the cap on the side of the road, was full of diesel
-new batteries a couple months ago
-was full of oil, including the HPOP reservoir was filled to the top

Doing internet searches was really hard as most peoples problems were completely unrelated and not helpful to my cause. While researching and looking up different things that can go wrong my best guess to the cause is a injector oil pressure regulator being gummed up and stuck open leaking all the HPO back to the pan... at least that's what I'm hoping as that's $18 in parts, if the reg is bad it's $120 and if the HPOP is bad that's near $600, injectors are $1600ish...

A 20' long 8k lb truck isn't the easiest thing to get home, but luckily I have some good friends and one of them used my 18' trailer to drag my beast home for me... I'm thankful someone bypassed the clutch switch for the starter, that would have been hard to get up to the top of the 32" tall trailer otherwise...

Thanks for any ideas!!! I would rather spend big $$ other places, but after reading about those $1600 injectors I really want a set... :)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you happen to fill up at a strange fuel station? One time I filled with gas instead of diesel because I wasn't paying attention and had the same symptoms as you.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Nope, I had just managed to run both tanks pretty low of fuel (~1/4 tank on both I think, both gauges are screwed... I know there's enough in both to run), I've ran out of fuel before, didn't seem like this...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought those tanks have a known pickup issue that runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Sounds like a fuel issue to me. I'd double check to see if you are actually getting fuel.

If you had my number I would have towed your truck home! I have a 10k lb car trailer.

Are you running b20?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just regular diesel.

It does have a normal problem where it runs out of fuel early, but I wasn't down to that point on either tank quite yet, plus when it runs out of fuel it's an all or nothing kinda thing if I remember right and kinda misses and such not a gradual loss in power with fuel still in the bowl.

I do have a new fuel pump sitting at home... and a buddy with a Snap On scanner that he thinks shows the high pressure oil pressure so I'm going to borrow that and see if I have the 500psi it needs to open the injectors.

One of these days I need to get your info Hagan, or I think I have it, I don't remember... a guy at work lives about 6 miles from me, and I had that flat deck trailer at my house so he picked me and the trailer up and got it done, round trip took right at 2 hours I think including unloading so it wasn't too bad.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fix it yet?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No, it's on the back burner. today on the way out hunting the transmission in my Tracker took a turn for the worse, one of the bearings is vibrating now...

On the plus side, just fixed the Ranger oil leak just now so maybe I'll push the powerstroke ahead of the Tracker... it should be a slightly quicker fix...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its never ending I tell ya!:bawling:

Sucks about the Tracker. Are you rebuilding it or swapping in another trans?

I know absolutely nothing about Powerstrokes so I am of no useful help. I've only owned/still own Cummins. But hate Dodges :D

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not sure if ya got this sorted out, but definitely check fuel delivery and pressure. Sounds similar to what my 97 did when I lost fuel pressure. I was surprised how far I got with fuel pressure reading zero, with no power. These motors like 65psi rail pressure and why I converted mine to the superduty efuel system. Another thing to check is the crank sensor, can cause the same symptoms you describe. Try to find a genuine Motorcraft if you do swap it out. I like to keep a spare in my little roadside toolbox in the truck, just in case!

Jon

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think I'm leaning toward the fuel pump, I have one but didn't swap it out when I had the bowl out resealing the IPR... I should have, but I would have ran out of time. After I put the IPR back on it did start and run real rough for a couple minutes until it sucked the bowl dry, should have topped it off when I had it off... won't restart after I filled the bowl, I'm thinking fuel pump... Just another mere 3 hour project most likely, I'll try to get to it on Sunday if I can.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
fuel pumps are rare, but the electrical part on the ipr can be bad, when mine went out the max oil pressure i got was 500psi on the hpop.

also could be the CPS sensor/ ICP sensor(is there oil in the plug)

if i would have saw this on Saturday i was down in Salem, i could have plugged my OBDII scanner in(if it works on the OBS trucks) to help a fellow 7.3l/ ranger owner out.

if the fuel pump was bad the truck could idle, the 7.3l injectors draw a little suction by themselves without help from the fuel pump.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I thought those tanks have a known pickup issue that runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Sounds like a fuel issue to me. I'd double check to see if you are actually getting fuel.

If you had my number I would have towed your truck home! I have a 10k lb car trailer.

Are you running b20?

the super-duties can if the plastic pickup breaks, never heard of it on the OBS trucks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Hmm... I was low on fuel in both tanks, not chugging low but low.

There is oil in the injector pressure sensor unfortunately so I'll probably pick up a new one of those and grab a new connector from work (we use the same Delphi connector on stuff at work so that's easy), guess I'll have them make a Napa order for me to get the discount... I tried running it without that sensor plugged in and it didn't change anything.

It won't idle although it did on Sunday when I tried until it sucked the filter housing dry. Going to pick up 5 gallons of diesel tomorrow and see if having more in the tank helps.

It does have an OBD II connector, been meaning to hook it up to my little blutetooth thing but I don't think it will show the injector oil pressure, and haven't coaxed my buddy over with his Snap On scanner...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well, it wasn't the ICP sensor... but now I do see what is going on, I lost rpm signal while cranking, it's very intermittent... I'll have a cam sensor on Monday... I think I'll add another to the cart on Amazon to put one in the glove box, apparently they're the grey newer style ones for $30...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Wasn't that, gonna have to get my mechanic buddy over with his scanner and do some real troubleshooting... It's gotta be something stupid, it ran for a minute about a week ago until the filter ran out of fuel... my bet is a bad ground or a broken wire somewhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals