• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gauge cluster swap

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
thinking of getting a new gauge cluster...what year RBV gage will swap into a 97 ranger dash?and what is out there?

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i don't want to hijack the thread, but how do you go about switching over the part that shows you the miles on the engine?

does it have to fit the exact layout? or is there some way to switch the position, or switch to a digital gauge?

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
you'd have to buy a new guage... it's all built in, and it's not worth taking it all apart just to remove the odometer.

since the '88 doesn't have a million mile odometer you can get an electric drill and spin the odometer around to a lower number... but keep in mind that if you sell the truck you need to disclose that information... having what the old odometer reading was and the new when it was installed.

Last edited:

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
you'd have to buy a new guage... it's all built in, and it's not worth taking it all apart just to remove the odometer.

since the '88 doesn't have a million mile odometer you can get an electric drill and spin the odometer around to a lower number... but keep in mind that if you sell the truck you need to disclose that information... having what the old odometer reading was and the new when it was installed.
I was just asking because I don't know how that stuff works.

So you buy a new gauge, take the entire old gauge system out, keep wiring, and just hook up the rest?

And then take a picture of the old odometer to keep if I ever sell it, which i never want it :)

Also, not worried about it hitting a million miles, I don't do excess driving, and it's only at 84k now :)

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
no, the only thing you need is like a sticker or something that says you changed the odometer and the milage at the time of change was ______ and the new milage was ______ and you're golden... just put that under the hood or somewhere it's easily seen for full disclosure purposes.

then when you sell the car I think it's required on the title as well. but if you lie about it you can get charged for fraud.

now if you just decide to scrap it that's different.

but our odometers go to 999,999 which is not a million mile odometer... so you can take a drill and spin it all the way to zero again if you want.

as for changing the guage out, you just need to take you cluster out and you should see how you can put in a new one.... you just need a 3 1/2 guage without a bezel and it shouldfit in there.

I'm not 100% (maybe 89%) sure that you won't have to cut or modify anything.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i have sean some white face gauges that were in a sploder sport trac a wile back....look like mine...would those just plug right in?

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
no, the only thing you need is like a sticker or something that says you changed the odometer and the milage at the time of change was ______ and the new milage was ______ and you're golden... just put that under the hood or somewhere it's easily seen for full disclosure purposes.

then when you sell the car I think it's required on the title as well. but if you lie about it you can get charged for fraud.

now if you just decide to scrap it that's different.

but our odometers go to 999,999 which is not a million mile odometer... so you can take a drill and spin it all the way to zero again if you want.

as for changing the guage out, you just need to take you cluster out and you should see how you can put in a new one.... you just need a 3 1/2 guage without a bezel and it shouldfit in there.

I'm not 100% (maybe 89%) sure that you won't have to cut or modify anything.
thanks for the help, bookmarked this thread :) for hopefully future use.. as i really want to update this ranger over time, and hopefully keep it until i have kids (16, almost 17 now).. so is another 20 years possible? obviously by that time probably EVERY part will have to be replaced... but that's not out of the question is it? it'd be cool to have a piece of history for my kids to grow up around.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
you'd probably need to make any part you need by then...

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
you'd probably need to make any part you need by then...
hm, didn't think about that...

am i the only one who would want to keep their RBV that long?
at first, i didn't like it that much, but i've learned to love it.
and if i lost it in a wreck or something, i would never be complete again.

as much as ya it'd be awesome to have an awesome expensive euro car or something, i still love my ranger

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
dude... I'm looking at your avatar and I am noticing that it looks amazingly like my truck... you got a red interior?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
about the sport trac gauges, i believe they will just be plug and play in the 98-03 rangers, cuz some lights were relocated, no issues with the gauges just the lights i believe, but u can always test it in your truck

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
dude... I'm looking at your avatar and I am noticing that it looks amazingly like my truck... you got a red interior?
yes, chances are we do.

is there a stamp under the hood?

mine is jan of 88... my grandfather bought it brand new, and has been only owner, besides me now.

loving it.

did we just connect through having the same truck? :) haha.

check out my photobucket for pics.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
I want your dash pad... If you ever plan on getting rid of it... sell it to me first!

also the steering column panels too!! haha.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I want your dash pad... If you ever plan on getting rid of it... sell it to me first!

also the steering column panels too!! haha.
lamens terms for these parts?

sorry lol, new to this stuff.

also, i will definitely keep you in mind... would rather it go to somebody i know than get payed a buck from some stranger. :)
love to help people out if i can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals