• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Window 1988 Ford Ranger XLT

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It's been broken for a while, the latch is missing and broke off completely, so even when it's "closed" all the way, there is a gap.. letting in air

I want to replace it, probably going to have it done professionally once I leave for an international trip at the beginning of summer, but I am having a hard time picking a design.

I think the basics are:
solid glass
4 panel design (what i currently have)
3 panel design (how do these work?)
power (not sure I want to get into that.. or the price either, and also I don't have power windows in the truck in the first place, so it'd be out of place)

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can buy a new latch for $6 at Autozone. Otherwise, your best bet is to keep your glass and update the latch, ala here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Feb04/tech.htm

I'm not 100% positive, but if you need new glass you could get the 3 panel from a 95-97 and it should fit. I believe the 98's used a different size window.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
You can buy a new latch for $6 at Autozone. Otherwise, your best bet is to keep your glass and update the latch, ala here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Feb04/tech.htm

I'm not 100% positive, but if you need new glass you could get the 3 panel from a 95-97 and it should fit. I believe the 98's used a different size window.
mine is an 1988... doesn't matter?

anyway, i want something that will be pretty secure... I have a shell on the back right now (as seen in my picture), but was going to take it off once I got the rear window fixed.

I don't want anybody breaking into the truck, as I plan to sub/amp the system eventually...

Obviously a solid pane is the most secure, but I really like the airflow you can get...

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If someone wants to break into your truck, and they'd be willing to break the back latch to get in, I wouldn't put it past them to just fish open the door lock. In other words, I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing out my glass for security reasons... but that's just me.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
If someone wants to break into your truck, and they'd be willing to break the back latch to get in, I wouldn't put it past them to just fish open the door lock. In other words, I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing out my glass for security reasons... but that's just me.
ya i suppose...

so i SHOULD upgrade to a better latch though?
and use the website that you posted, even though it doesn't say it covers my year of truck?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what the 88 latches are like, but if they're like the 89-94 then yes you can upgrade them ala the tech article.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know what the 88 latches are like, but if they're like the 89-94 then yes you can upgrade them ala the tech article.
idk how to tell lol... but basically the latch is all the way off.. so i've just got two pieces of glass sliding....

can i put any latch I want on there?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sure, if you don't mind drilling then I don't see why you couldn't put any latch on there. Here's the 93 latch, looks like it was used all the way back to 83.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Ford-Ranger-Rear-Sliding-Glass-Window-Latch-83-93_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6781QQihZ011QQitemZ320357012301QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
it's possible.. i haven't seen any drill holes though, but i can look.

====EDIT==== I don't have any drill holes because it's only the glass.. in the picture on that auction there are black, plastic i assume, pieces... I don't have those... am I screwed?

i remember something being on there with like adhesive or somethin like that
maybe that's why it broke :p

i will call a few places locally and see if they have anything.. if not, probably ebay here I come...

any thoughts on one of the nicest latches I could get? safe and secure gives an A+

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
picture time

i suppose i could just take the latch off of the topper... but I would like to be able to sell the topper once i get this window fixed, even if it's only like $20...

in the first picture you can definitely see the residue from something adhesive-y on the left panel.... and there are no holes drilled.. the tiny black strips that you see are either plastic or metal.. not sure, but they aren't like foam or anything.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
bump... any help?

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
...? there has to be somebody who can give me a suggestion.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you are missing parts. There should be trim peices that seal the windows, they have the latch part on them.

You might try to see if you can get some from a bodyshop or junkyard... dunno how easy it would be to get them off intact.

You can get small dowels or something similar and drop in the tracks to lock the windows shut, put a peice of tape on them with the end doubled over so you can remove them quickly (without digging them out with a screwdriver)

Here is what my '85 has:

My latch is broken too, it was a cheap plastic one... but there are two holes per side, so does that mean the later one will screw right on?

Last edited:

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, you are missing parts. There should be trim peices that seal the windows, they have the latch part on them.

You might try to see if you can get some from a bodyshop or junkyard... dunno how easy it would be to get them off intact.

You can get small dowels or something similar and drop in the tracks to lock the windows shut, put a peice of tape on them with the end doubled over so you can remove them quickly (without digging them out with a screwdriver)

Here is what my '85 has:

My latch is broken too, it was a cheap plastic one... but there are two holes per side, so does that mean the later one will screw right on?
how would i attach the trim back on there even if i possibly found some?

i'm thinking i will just get a new rear window....

does anybody have opinions on if 3 panel, 4 panel, or solid is the best?

i will have 1 or 2 ten inch subs eventually, MAYBE a 12... i don't want rattle obviously. getting a full electronic rear window would be awesome (to roll the whole thing down) but probably expensive, and would require fab work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how would i attach the trim back on there even if i possibly found some?
One of mine fell off, I just used some weatherstripping silicone to glue it back on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals