• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Window 1988 Ford Ranger XLT

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine are force-fit by rubber (as I recall). IE there is a rubber layer between the glass and the plastic for the latch. When I bought the truck the plastic had come out from the rubber layer, and it took a little friendly pounding to get it back on. It doesn't sound like it'd be but it's pretty tight on there. Anti-theft tight? No, probably not, but I have a camper shell too so I don't care (and I don't have expensive subs ;)).

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine are force-fit by rubber (as I recall). IE there is a rubber layer between the glass and the plastic for the latch. When I bought the truck the plastic had come out from the rubber layer, and it took a little friendly pounding to get it back on. It doesn't sound like it'd be but it's pretty tight on there. Anti-theft tight? No, probably not, but I have a camper shell too so I don't care (and I don't have expensive subs ;)).
i am planning on getting rid of the camper shell once i get the window fixed.

i just dunno what to do, but i don't want to dump the money for a whole new rear window.

honestly, if anybody happens to find an entire (meaning the trim and latch) connection piece that would fit at a junk yard, PLEASE let me know. i would be more than happy to throw in some extra money for you... depending on the price of it

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i am planning on getting rid of the camper shell once i get the window fixed.

i just dunno what to do, but i don't want to dump the money for a whole new rear window.

honestly, if anybody happens to find an entire (meaning the trim and latch) connection piece that would fit at a junk yard, PLEASE let me know. i would be more than happy to throw in some extra money for you... depending on the price of it
Last fall the U Pull It down by 60th and Harrison (I kind of wander around down there until I find the place, so look it up) had a bunch of older first and second generation Rangers. $2 will get you in and probably that much again will get you your parts.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Last fall the U Pull It down by 60th and Harrison (I kind of wander around down there until I find the place, so look it up) had a bunch of older first and second generation Rangers. $2 will get you in and probably that much again will get you your parts.
oh wow.. thanks a bunch, totally out my way.. but worth it to get those pieces..

i will hopefully keep you guys updated.

got 4 days left of spring break... so i will hopefully venture out there.

what should i bring there with me?
a charged drill, flat and phillips drill bits, screwdriver...

dunno what else... cash obviously.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh wow.. thanks a bunch, totally out my way.. but worth it to get those pieces..

i will hopefully keep you guys updated.

got 4 days left of spring break... so i will hopefully venture out there.

what should i bring there with me?
a charged drill, flat and phillips drill bits, screwdriver...

dunno what else... cash obviously.
I would think a gasket scraper or something would get them off the easiest, maybe a cordless hairdrier would help soften up the glue and increase your odds of a intact set. Mine just fell off on their own so there can't be much holding them on??

I would grab some wrenches too in case you find something else of interest. Seldom do I walk out of one of those places with just what I came for. :D

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I would think a gasket scraper or something would get them off the easiest, maybe a cordless hairdrier would help soften up the glue and increase your odds of a intact set. Mine just fell off on their own so there can't be much holding them on??

I would grab some wrenches too in case you find something else of interest. Seldom do I walk out of one of those places with just what I came for. :D
maybe just a basic putty knife?

i don't really want to, but i have a socket set that i COULD bring... but it's not compact at all haha.

list so far:
charged drill (both bits)
phillips screwdriver (reg length, and mini)
flathead screwdriver (not even sure i need this, every screw i've seen in my truck is phillips)
putty knife
wrench

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals