• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken console

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The fold down console that is screwed into the driver's seat is FUBAR. I tried re-screwing it into the seat but it is still floppy and doesn't really stay screwed in.

Is this a common problem? Is there a quick n simple remedy? I'd like to keep it on.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume your talking about the fold up/down middle armrest/console on the 60/40 bench combo. If the allen wrench head screw doesn't want to stay in there ya might want to see if the screw isn't stripped or even the female isn't stripped out. I'd start there.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I just fixed my friends armrest this weekend, 2 of 3 welds on the bracket broke loose from the seat frame. 3 bolts to remove the seat back, popped off the cover and foam, bent the bracket back in place and rewelded it.

It sounds like the threads are stripped in the bracket that the armrest mounts to, if you can find one in the JR just undo 3 bolts and get it, you can then swap over your foam and cover and bolt it in....all fixed :)

Lou

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, I am having difficulty visualizing this in my head.

All mine has is a large hex bolt that screws through the hole in the arm rest into the seat.

I already tested the threads out, and the bolt screws in and out with no issues. How deep is the female end of that? Should that bolt screw all the way down, without the arm rest installed?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, I am having difficulty visualizing this in my head.

All mine has is a large hex bolt that screws through the hole in the arm rest into the seat.

I already tested the threads out, and the bolt screws in and out with no issues. How deep is the female end of that? Should that bolt screw all the way down, without the arm rest installed?
is it a hex bolt? if so someone has changed it at some point....it should be a torx head bolt with a shoulder on it.

So what your saying is that with the bolt tight the armrest is still floppy?

The one I worked on was a little floppy also but not to bad...it seams that there might be like a trust bearing or something similar maybe a spacing washer that is worn some causing slop. I did not tear into the armrest itself to see what all is in there where the bolt goes through at maybe someone else knows more.

Lou

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ha, yes. I can install that armrest and tighten that bolt as far as it'll go and it'll start out a little floppy. Then, after a short period of time, it's non-usable.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ha, yes. I can install that armrest and tighten that bolt as far as it'll go and it'll start out a little floppy. Then, after a short period of time, it's non-usable.
once it is non-usable...is the bolt loose again?

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, that bolt kind of works it's way loose.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I am 99% sure that the arm I worked on, the bolt had a shoulder. With it having a shoulder, the shoulder is what tightens up against the frame, leaving a little play under the head of the bolt so when moving the arm does not work the bolt loose. You could try to use some locktite on the bolt threads and let it set up before moving the arm and see if that helps. Or you could visit a local JY and see if you can get the correct bolt for it, if in fact the bolt you have now is the wrong one.

The bolt I took out had a torx head on it.
Lou

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The bolt I have has an indention in it to use an allen wrench to tighten it down with.

Not sure what a shoulder is, in this case.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Interesting, mine was a Torx bit (45 IIRC).

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe mine is the wrong bolt?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
A torx looks like a allen but it is star shape instead of a hex, A shoulder is a portion just below the head that is not threaded (threaded portion is smaller in diameter then the shoulder) so when it is tightened down the shoulder is tight against the bracket, and the head wont squeeze what is under it. I hope that makes sense.

Lou

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals