• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 cuts out under load

Hileman18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was hoping that I could get some help I just rebuilt my 1990 ford ranger after it set for many years and now when I'm driving it it cuts out from 1/2 to full throttle. I've changed the tps and the maf sensor and the piece on the side of the intake not sure what its called. Fuel presure is about 30-35 psi on the fuel rail and I have replaced the pump and fuel filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong place I am new to this forum.

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had similar issue. Not sure, but I think replacing the blown fusible link, which supplied the current in the oxy sensor, was the fix. Not sure as I was trying other things too. Engine will run, give no codes, run randomly 'wonky'. An easy 'overlook'. Check youtube, I found that one via a video there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Changed IAC Valve?
Looks like a can :)

None of those changes would probably help with those symptoms, with the exception of fuel filter and maybe fuel pump.

Sensors rarely fail, but are often replaced, lol

Assuming you have run Seafoam or similar injector cleaner thru the system since it has been sitting, or put in new injectors, it reads like exhaust could be clogged.
(dirty injectors would have limited flow at higher demand)

Vacuum gauge is still the best way to test for an engine problem, can tell you alot about any gasoline engine, and at $25 not an expensive tool

Good read here on the test to do: http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

No matter what "they" add to the outside of a gasoline engine it is still just a self-powered air pump, and no better way to test a pump than by reading its pressure, in this case negative pressure, vacuum pressure

Symptom of losing power as load/RPM increases could be back pressure is building up in the exhaust system, you could have someone increase engine RPMs while you feel tailpipe exhaust flow, it should of course increase as RPMs increase, if it levels off then you have a partial blockage.

I would also change the O2 sensor on spec, these use a chemical reaction to measure oxygen in the exhaust, so they do wear out just like a battery, chemical gets used up even sitting, recommended change is at 100k miles, so not a haphazard sensor change :)
But O2 sensor is not your problem

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals