• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 EGR valve tube & connector??? 1986

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Need help quick!!!

I'm fearing that the EGR valve tube/hose...(the one on the Driver side exhuast manifold, to the bottom of the EGR valve).

I fear this won't come loose on the sick/toasted engine. If it does it mostlikely won't be in a condition that makes it ....ummm...useable on the rebuilt one that going to replace it.

Is there a practical replacement of this EGR valve tube & connector????, without going to the dealership, where the price is nearing arm & 2 fingers.:eek:

I have place an ad in the "wanted" section of this web site. seeking a good used one...as local salvage yards here don't stock this ..."vintage" any more either.

I have order new ones but really would like a more economical solution

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's illegal to disable an emissions device, and even if it weren't and he did that, he would have an EXHAUST LEAK and would get a permanent check engine light, bad fuel mileage, stinky exhaust, repeatedly fouling spark plugs, poor performance, and so on.

white trash

Reaction score
If the replacement motor was an 88 with an 88 computer, none of the above would apply.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not to mention that it the truck is an auto, wouldn't it set a code in regards to the 3-4 shift circuit?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the replacement motor was an 88 with an 88 computer, none of the above would apply.
It's "gray." With the appropriate regulatory hoops, it can probably be made legal in most cases.

Generally, it requires ALL the emissions equipment. Which is a bit more than just the engine and computer.

But no one said anything about a replacement engine. Just an EGR tube. Replacing an engine for a single tube is kinda, well, silly.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
HEy thanks folks for the insite....

This is a rebuilt engine...the EGR valve tube & connector were pretty well shot.. and yes it is an 86'.

I could possibly start looking for 88' componets.....but by the time I would find everything, computer and a few sensors, etc... I would most likely have more cost wraped up in those then a just getting the new tube and connector...$85 for both...gonna take more than a week to get them is the bigger isssue.

Could this get made from copper pipe instead of steel?? are the connectors the same as regular pipe fittings are are they special for the automotive industry. The flared end on the EGR vale end ...appears to look like hydraulic or gas fittings???

Has anyone have tried it?

thanks again

white trash

Reaction score
You could try copper or maybe EMT conduit, the fitting on the exhaust manifold is some type of fine thread not sure what though. If you know someone who has a 3/4" NPT tap you may be able to use standard fittings, or braze a fitting into the manifold.
If there is an industrial supply or hydraulic shop around try taking the fitting and tube in to see if they can help you.
Just some thoughts.
Brian

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals