• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jet ski towing

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was wondering how other rangers pulled a single jetski? Have a 2wd 2.9 and I feel like it would pull the ski down the road just fine but how would it react pulling it out of the water?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be just fine with some weight in the bed and reasonable tires.
Full size trucks slip on wet ramps.
It is simply a matter of traction with something as light as a jet ski, not power

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I figured that, got the stock 14s but the tires have really good tred. I have sandbags, would you think that would be adequate weight? I'm guessing the ski weighs maybe 800 with the trailer

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, should be fine.

You can have one sand bag tied so you can open it and put a cup inside it.
Then if needed throw some sand down for better traction.

Also rubber mats are helpful for traction.

No one that has spent anytime on boat ramps has not running into slippery situations.
I ran into a spot where some one had poured out a bottle of dish soap on one side of the ramp, playing a joke on his buddy.
Well I was the next guy that used it, yea real funny................., actually it was funny, but at the time.............

2WD trucks are usually OPEN differentials, this means the easiest tire to turn gets 100% of the power, so if a wheel starts to slip ALL the power goes to that slipping wheel, lol, yes not very good but that IS the way it works.

An old trick when an OPEN differential tire starts to slip is to hold out E-brake release and push down on E-brake pedal, this will slow down the slipping wheel and transfer some power to the other wheel, once you get moving let off brakes
Not easy to do this with a manual trans and foot E-brake, but with an Automatic trans and/or a Hand brake it is easy peasy

Last edited:

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right man, she's an open differential with a 5 speed. Should make quite an experience for the ramps where I go are terrible concrete. Thanks for the advice

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seen Rangers put in regular boats no problem, so I don't think you'll have a problem with the jetski. Low gear, take it easy on the take off. Don't floor it. Did a jetski a time or two with my old 84 that was 2.8L, 2wd, and manual.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals