• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger vs explorer tow rig

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a well maintained 97 ranger with 104,xxx miles with the 4.0 ohv, 5r55e, 4x4, 3.73 axle and the manual says it's rated for 5600lbs with a maximum of 50sq ft of frontal area. It has the tranny cooler in the radiator and a hitch, did this era actually have an official towing package? I am also considering a 2003 cult explorer with 156,xxx miles, 4.0 Sohc, 5r55w(replaced at 139,xxx), 4x4, 3.73 axle with towing package. It has its own tranny cooler and all the wiring to accept the trailer brake with the 7pin harness and the manual says it's rated for 5300 and limit on frontal area. I'll be pulling a 4,000lb loaded tandem axle camping trailer with 56sq ft of frontal area. I live in Washington state and 5,000 ft passes are in the plans. I know the explorer has more power but when it comes to towing which powertrain is better? What is the difference between the two trannys as far as reliability? Any input is appreciated

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The transmissions will be about the same as far as durability, not much difference in the hard parts of the various 5R series units.

I would add an aux cooler to the Ranger and go with that, as long as it meets your needs for passenger space. It's not hard to install a brake controller and 7-pin unit on a Ranger, the worst part is running the power wires for the controller and the trailer brake.

The Ranger has the higher weight rating, you know it's history better than a vehicle you would purchase and that Explorer is 13 years old already. The Ranger is also a vehicle you already have.

The frontal area limits will reduce the weight you can actually pull, but you are still below your max rating, so you should be ok.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
What is meant by 'frontal area" ?

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, if you ever have to rent a trailer, most of the big guys will not rent towables to expo owners because of silly reasons that stem from the whole firestone tire from a couple decades ago. Just something to be aware of.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The explorer belongs to my parents so I know the history there also actually, all important while trying to decide. Not sure where I heard it, but I thought the only reason u-haul wouldn't rent to explorers is due to the Firestone tire rollover issue and if you had a mountaineer or aviator you were fine. Are there any tricks to keep these transmissions happy seeing as they are the weak link it seems? I keep it out of overdrive and often downshift when I feel it's better to let the transmission make the torque and to keep the coolant and oil flowing more while I'd pull my large (for a pop up) 2600lb trailer

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And after reading my original post I noticed I forgot a word and there is no indicated limit to frontal area on an explorer. The frontal area is the square footage on the front of a trailer that has to head butt the wind, most of the drag especially as speeds increase. I think Washington has a maximum of 60mph with any trailer which I wouldn't want to go faster with a trailer anyway

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the firestone deal is the one I was talking about. The most effected vehicle was the explorer so uhaul got tired of paying their lawyers more for explorer cases and banned renting them towables. Idk about mountaineers though. I might have to re badge my expo haha. Anywho, just thought I'd point that out in case that made it a deal breaker.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
And after reading my original post I noticed I forgot a word and there is no indicated limit to frontal area on an explorer. The frontal area is the square footage on the front of a trailer that has to head butt the wind, most of the drag especially as speeds increase. I think Washington has a maximum of 60mph with any trailer which I wouldn't want to go faster with a trailer anyway
Thank you tworanger for the explanation of 'frontal area", an odd term but makes sense.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
What is meant by 'frontal area" ?
how big the front is, think wind-resistance.
at higher speeds it takes more power to pull the trailer thru the air than it does to pull the weight up a hill.

Hmm, already answered, I should have read more of the posts.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, U-haul won't rent you anything if you have an Explorer. One time they told me I couldn't pick up a box truck because I showed up in an Explorer. Their website does claim it is due to excessive costs associated with defending themselves against lawsuits involving Explorers.

Frankly since it's been almost 20 years since anyone had a real issue with one rolling over, and the ban extends to vehicles outside the year ranges that did have problems I think Explorer owners should get together and file a class-action discrimination suit.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, U-haul won't rent you anything if you have an Explorer. One time they told me I couldn't pick up a box truck because I showed up in an Explorer. Their website does claim it is due to excessive costs associated with defending themselves against lawsuits involving Explorers.

Frankly since it's been almost 20 years since anyone had a real issue with one rolling over, and the ban extends to vehicles outside the year ranges that did have problems I think Explorer owners should get together and file a class-action discrimination suit.
I'm game.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would stick with the ranger as it has a solid rear axle. Despite what tow ratings say it should handle the load better.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I think they lifted it on the newer (2011+) ones iirc.

I would stick with the ranger as it has a solid rear axle. Despite what tow ratings say it should handle the load better.
FOR SURE

If changing the rear struts and springs doesn't make you a believer pressing out/in the wheel bearings will.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I will also say that when towing a tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase is much more stable...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals