• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 V6 won't start

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
I just bought a 94 Ranger with very good body to fix as my daily driver but it has 226,000 miles and ran for only 3 weeks. Now it turns over but won't fire and acts like it has jumped time. With so many miles it is possible and I planned to rebuild it anyway, but thought maybe there is a simple fix others have done. I am a retired ASE mechanic, custom car builder (40 years) and gunsmith...HEY, at almost 71 I have had lots of time to do lots of stuff! Any ideas appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, probably not valve timing, the 3.0l and 4.0l rarely have timing chain issues.
Does it have a lope when cranking or is it cranking very fast?

Ford systems prime the fuel rail for 2 seconds when key is turned on, do you hear the fuel pump come on with the key?
Turn key on and off a few times, pump is quite loud so you should hear it

Have you tried adding fuel to intake and cranking, to see if it will fire?
If it doesn't then spark is the issue.

'94 was the last year of the distributor in 3.0l, '95 was distributorless
Distributor turning activates the hall effect sensor which activates spark but also sends a pulse to computer to activate injectors.

The TFI ignition system has some failure issues, good read here on checking it: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Last edited:

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks RonD. I got it running but don't know what I did!? Tried the analog meter test and probably cleared codes before buying a code-reader. Now, no codes but starts and runs. My degree is in electronics and it sounds like a connection...? Just finished a 65 Mustang six...yes six for the wife and working on a 2.3 sports car for me. I am a FORD guy so I got the Ranger to replace my '01 F150. I plan to totally rebuild the Ranger with the 3.0 but need it to run for a years so I can finish the Sunbeam. I think it will crap-out again but I have a code reader, analog meter and tools in the stretch cab. I had a 2000 Ford cop car with a similar problem in '01,(I was fleet superintendent) and it drove us crazy! Mouse ate a wire!! I hate those little buggers!

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sunbeam.........Tiger?

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
At 226K, that 3.0 Ranger engine is just breaking in! I'd not tear it down to do a rebuild until it actually needs it. If it isn't smoking enough yet for your county to hire you to fog for mosquitos, then I'd just leave it the way it is. Its common for these engines to see service up to and beyond the 300K mark.

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Bronco638, it is not a Tiger but the Alpine. I am adapting a 2.3 with 2 barrel and intake work, hot ignition, better fuel pump, hand made header, mild internal work on block/head and an A4LD for long haul driving. This one is for me after 40 years building for other people. I'll call it a Tiger Cub!

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bronco638, it is not a Tiger but the Alpine. I am adapting a 2.3 with 2 barrel and intake work, hot ignition, better fuel pump, hand made header, mild internal work on block/head and an A4LD for long haul driving. This one is for me after 40 years building for other people. I'll call it a Tiger Cub!
LOL

Right on! :icon_thumby::headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals