• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why is it...

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that some catalitic converters can work for hundreds of thousands of miles, and others will fail or plug? I just read a thread on here where a member has 197K on his truck, and the cats are plugged. I have 215K on my truck, and it's running fine. The cats on my truck appear to be original.

Does cold weather play a factor in condinsation/rust buildup in the exhaust, causing cats to clog? The cats are up front, so I'd think codensation would be minimal.

Is it the type of unleaded gas being used that can cause them to clog?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine is at 315k with original cats.

Yes, the exhaust has alot to do with how long exhaust pipe, cats and muffler will last.

When you burn gasoline(H) and oxygen(O) one of the by products is H2O(water), this is why exhaust systems have always rusted from the inside out, and why some use stainless steel pipes now.
But other factors like humid climate, more water vapor is sucked in, and less is evaporated on cool down, so water vapor condenses in low spots in exhaust system and starts the rusting.
And long term rich fuel/air mix also effects the exhaust system, not talking check engine light rich, just a little rich, maybe .5-1MPG rich.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Running conditions, vehicle care, luck of the draw, they all play a part. Just like any other part on anything some individuals will last longer than others. If you have an injector or plug fail and start dumping raw fuel down the exhaust that will rip a cat up quick.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to work for Midas Corporate (the company that franchises, for the most part, all of the Midas Brake/Muffler shops). A lot of the guys that did exhaust design work were of the opinion that it took a good 15 minutes of highway driving to get the exhaust system hot enough to evaporate all of the moisture inside (obviously driving on local roads would take a little longer). If you drove short distances, the exhaust system never got warm enough to evaporate the moisture and the system would fail more quickly (rust out from the inside).

I wonder how much the environment has to do with it; Salt States versus Non-Salt States versus Humidity (FL) versus Dry (AZ). Etc., etc.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh I am sure that those guys were correct, and that climate and humidity has a LOT to do with it.

I and my truck have lived in central PA our whole lives. My truck spent a large part of it's life doing runs of 20 minutes or less commuting either me or my dad to work. For a long time it was needed a new muffler every two years, like clock work. And I mean it was spot on, I could usually mark a day on a calendar that I would need a muffler and at least be in the right week.

Then I got a job 30 miles away and it lasted for quite some time.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd have to agree with the short tripper being hard on CATs. Engine runs rich and never gets up to full temp. It's gotta be rough on em. I would imagine engine condition being a big factor too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals