• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why did I buy this thing

nivlasemaj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got a 2001 ford 3.0 V6 With a horrible miss. Have replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack. Tried to blow it up, but it won't get over 3000 rpm with the throttle wide open in park (patients is not my virtue). Fuel pressure in the rail seems good, plenty of spark, anyone got a suggestion? Oh and it has less than 70,000 on it and bought at an auction

Gonna take off the catalytic converter, start the engine see if it makes a diff. If not then I'll do the compression test.

When the problem first started I poured a quarter can of Chemtool into a quarter tank of fuel and drove it about 10 miles. It improved, but soon went sick again. That is when I started pulling plug wires to find which cylinders weren't firing. I watched #2 lose its spark and #3 was real weak so I replaced the coil pack and now it has plenty of spark but still runs like $#%@! The older I get the less patience I have, so sad, but I will try to keep the temper in check and I bet I find it is something simple and easy to fix cause it just don't make sense, runs fine one day and belly up the next!!! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'll take em and run, see if I can figure this thing out.

When I wiggle the pig tail on the coil pack the engine dies. Positioned it once that the engine ran fine, but won't stay there. Any suggestions?

Took it to store and code said #6 had a miss. Did reset and haven't been back yet to see why the "check engine" has returned but the motor is running flawlessly since I once again pulled the plugs (look fine, nice brown color), tried to check compression but Ford screwed me with one of their better ideas recessing the plug so my 1/2" reach tester won't thread into it. Inspected the wires even though new and found a plug boot melted but not to the point I could get continuity from damaged area to inside, but will silicone and wrap. Thanks again for all the help you guys (crossingmyfingers) but I think it is behind me now. It has pulled a trailer with 250 gallons/1 ton of water five trips with out a hiccup. Very damp this morning and still smooth running over 30 mile round trip.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you getting any fault codes?

If spark is fine, then the next step is to look at fuel. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Have you checked injectors? I had a couple of injectors go bad and cause a miss on my 3.0, but it had 180,000 miles or so. But if you bought it at auction, it may have been sitting for a long time, and the fuel may have degraded enough to clog the filter or an injector. I'd also check the electrical connections at each injector to make sure the wiring harness hasn't been damaged or anything.

There's a rev limiter when the truck is in Park. That's why you haven't been able to go above 3000. But really, misfires aren't typically serious enough to justify blowing your engine up.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Rev Limiter is common on most newer vehicles.

Is the miss there at idle or only under load, like driving up hill or accelerating?
Is it a steady miss, like one cylinder is the issue or more random, like a few cylinders are missing?

A cylinder needs 3 things to fire
1. Fuel, in the right mix with air
2. Spark, at the right time
3. Compression, above 150psi

Common issue with 3.0l missing is vacuum leaks, this causes a problem for fuel mix(1.), too much air.

PCV valve hose should be first thing checked, these crack after about 10 years
Also make sure dip stick and oil cap are in/on tight

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
technically, the torque converter is what is limiting it to 3000 rpm, not the electronic rev limiter.

Run some seafoam through the gas tank, then change the fuel filter.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some other things to possibly check are see if your mass air flow sensor is dirty. What does the air filter look like? Throttle body may need cleaned but i don't know on your year if you can clean them. If it has a sticker on the intake that says don't clean then don't do it. Outside of those things the other suggestions are good.

When i got my 97 that i no longer have now it took a good six months to work the kinks out of it after i got the plugs, wires, and coil pack replaced. So might take a bit to work the crud out of the system especially if it has been sitting like someone else said.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
technically, the torque converter is what is limiting it to 3000 rpm, not the electronic rev limiter.
Care to explain the theory on this one?

It is the ECU cutting the fuel & spark that is limiting the RPM in park. They are designed to do this.

I would start pulling plug wires off with it running to identify which cylinder is not firing, then pull the valve cover & look for a broken spring. if you dont find anything its time for a compression test on the mis-firing cylinders, could be a burnt valve, loose seat, etc.

JP02XLT

deathcyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Care to explain the theory on this one?

It is the ECU cutting the fuel & spark that is limiting the RPM in park. They are designed to do this.

I would start pulling plug wires off with it running to identify which cylinder is not firing, then pull the valve cover & look for a broken spring. if you dont find anything its time for a compression test on the mis-firing cylinders, could be a burnt valve, loose seat, etc.

JP02XLT
My thoughts exactly, only way a converter will limit rpm is in gear while holding the brake.. Lol

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I clearly mis-read something then, I thought the stall on the torque converter was the limiting factor in park and on the brakes...

This is why I stick with manuals. so much easier to understand.

deathcyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, No problem, we all do that from time to time

JP02XLT

nivlasemaj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are you getting any fault codes?

If spark is fine, then the next step is to look at fuel. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Have you checked injectors? I had a couple of injectors go bad and cause a miss on my 3.0, but it had 180,000 miles or so. But if you bought it at auction, it may have been sitting for a long time, and the fuel may have degraded enough to clog the filter or an injector. I'd also check the electrical connections at each injector to make sure the wiring harness hasn't been damaged or anything.

There's a rev limiter when the truck is in Park. That's why you haven't been able to go above 3000. But really, misfires aren't typically serious enough to justify blowing your engine up.
I bought it 4 years ago, and have been driving it regularly. It has just suddenly started this missing.

nivlasemaj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Run some seafoam through the gas tank, then change the fuel filter.
Is the fuel filter in the gas tank?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of suggestions. Did the OP finally fix the problem? What was the final result?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals