• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idler pulley going out?

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does the idler pulley normally make a weird noise right before it goes out? On my 92 3.0l, with the engine running (idling or in gear, doesn't matter) there is a weird noise coming from what seems to be the top middle of the engine. With the hood up and the engine running, it sounds like it is coming from the idler pulley. I haven't actually checked anything out beyond listening to the engine with the hood up, but tomorrow I plan to pull the belt and check the operation of all the pulleys as best as I can. Is there anything I should be looking for that would indicate something isn't right? I know that's not a lot to go on right now, and I apologize. I'll try to have a little more information tomorrow. Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the water pump was replaced about three years ago, or so. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've had to replace the upper idler pulley three times in the life of my 2000 Ranger 3.0 (currently at 216K). Mine will squeal, usually in early mornings, then stop after a few minutes of engine running. A 10 to 12 dollar part. I see nowadays that belt changing should also include changing the tension pulley as well. I've not done that; I've had to change the tensioner pulley only once; but the upper idler pulley three times.

An old trick I've used to narrow down or pinpoint a noise is to take an old wooden handle, from a rack or other worn out garden tool, and carefully place it on the suspect part, and place the other end against my ear. This allows the noise to be directed towards my ear. Cut down the handle to a reasonable length, and of course, keep it away from any moving parts. If the handle end is placed at the pully center, this would be good enough to locate a potential sound.

More fancy tools like this are a doctors (or mechanics) stethescope (spelling?).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals