• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter problem on a 3.0

wiesket

SsgtUSMC
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
Factory
Tire Size
p235 75 r15
My credo
Guaranteed to work until it stop!!!!!
Today when I started the engine I got all kinds of noise like the starter is not disengaging from the flywheel. Worked fine yesterday. Have had the starter tested at Auto Zone and they said it was working fine. Would think that the starter relay is good or the starter would not turn over engine. The engine does start up. Any suggestions would help. Need some guidance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '94 4.0l has the starter relay on the starter motor.

The way starter motors and starter relays work is via 1 smaller wire that comes from the ignition switch.
When key is turned all the way to START that 1 small wire gets 12 volts(battery voltage).
This closes the starter relay and the larger cable on the starter motor gets full battery amps to crank engine.

As long as there is 12volts on that small wire starter will crank engine, whether engine has started or not.

The smaller wire should be tested, remove it from the starter relay and hook it up to a test light or Volt meter it should NOT have any voltage, then turn the key to START, it should have voltage, then release key and voltage should disappear, repeat a few times.
If you ever get voltage when key is NOT in START position, replace ignition switch.

Dan R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It could be a faulty starter Bendix drive, or the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys. Have someone start it and have a listen-carefully.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals