• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R1 housing leak; shop advice

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello all. I've got a 1992 2wd 2.3 liter with the M50D-R1 transmission. I very recently started hearing a classic input bearing noise, which is to say I hear a whine increase with RPM in all gears except 4th.

I decided to get down and check the fluid levels, found the entire transmission and crossmember covered in a thin coat of what seems like transmission oil. I never did check the fluid level, could not budge the fill plug.

I took it into a shop to see if they could tell me where the leak was, which they offered to do for free. My hope (perhaps far-fetched) was that they'd tell me the transmission was fine and leaking out of the top so I could pop a few new seals in under the shifter without even dropping the transmission. Instead they say the housing itself is leaking.

My question is this. With a whine already developed and significant leaking observed, is there any reason to believe that resealing the housing and filling the fluid would solve the problem? Would you assume those bearings are already shot? They seem very confident that sealing it will solve everything and I just don't understand how they could feel that way without being able to see the bearings. I don't want to have them drop my transmission only to have them call and tell me I actually need a complete rebuild at which point I'm more or less at their mercy. Unrelated to all of this, I will need a clutch sooner than later anyway and they'll do my clutch and reseal everything for one thousand. As I debate having them do this for me vs attempting it all myself, I was hoping for a better idea of if their expectations are reasonable or not. Is that whine a sign of bearing failure soon to come, or a sign that they are already past saving?

Thanks guys!

-Mrtin

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It whining means damage is already done.

Depending how bad it is, you might be able to fix the leak and replenish it with fresh fluid and it could last a little while longer, however no doubt it would be on borrowed time. I would suggest planning for a rebuild or have a replacement (used) transmission on hand no matter what.

FWIW, by far & wide the most common leak point on the M5OD transmission is the 3 rubber shift rail plugs at the top-rear of the trans housing (on the shifter cover to be exact). It's quite easy to replace them. Repairing the damage caused by the low fluid level... Not so much.

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
damage

Thank you very much for the reply. I went ahead and filled it up, it took almost two quarts, I didn't think the capacity was too much more than that, so it was pretty dry. In looking around down there I found exactly what you suggested, those three plugs are finger loose and seem to be the fountain head of all the oil dripping down the transmission.

Looks like a classic case of an ounce of prevention being better than a pound of cure. Had I researched common problems with this transmission when I bought the truck four years ago, or taken more of an interest in my trans fluid along the way, I'd probably have gotten away with a cheap and easy fix. oh well.

Knowing that the damage is done, I'm not sure I'd want to drive the truck even with the leak fixed. So I might just let it sit while I shop around for another transmission. Should I decided to try and replace the transmission, I am sure I'll be reading and posting on TRS quite a lot. Thanks!

-M

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals