• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Doors Lock on their own

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I was waxing the truck last night with the wife helping me. This morning I went to take some stuff to the dump and noticed that when I pull the outside door handle (with all the doors unlock at this point) the doors will lock on their own???? the same thing seems to happen with the inside door handle. Now I was thinking that there might be some kind of child lock switch on the door jam that got flicked but I didn't see one and I pulled out the owners book and started reading that with no solution in there. so whats the deal any help on there, I can see where I might be locking myself out of the truck.
Ford Ranger: 2008 3.0L V6 ext cab sport

:dunno:

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was just outside playing around with it, still have no idea whats going on. but it only seems to happen on the drives side door, passenger side is fine. So did I some how manage to hit some sequence of buttons do to with the lock.
- all doors are unlocked
- go to pull the handle to open the drivers side door.
- door opens 3sec later all the door want to lock (even if I hold the door handle up)
- From the inside the same thing. I go to get out of the truck
- Pull the inside door handle 3sec all the doors want to lock.

Any ideas, anything that might be worth trying.
would disconnecting the battery do any good? does any one know of a switch on the door that I may have over looked again and again????

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, so that is really weird. I just poked through the shop manuals, I can't find anything about a perimeter alarm, or any security system aside from the PATS system.

So this is a bit of a long shot, but it's about the only thing that makes any sense at all.

The door ajar switch is part of the latch assembly. The lock actuator is also part of the latch assembly.

The door ajar switch passes a voltage signal along and seeing the voltage drop to ground is what tells the computer to do it's door ajar thing.

The door lock switch doesn't switch power directly to the lock actuator, it sends a low current signal back to the GEM, which switches power to the lock actuators.

If the latch assembly has an internal short it may be getting back to the GEM, which is seeing is as the lock signal, and is locking the doors.

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats good thinking.
but if there was a direct short wouldn't I be taking out the fuse and if it was just a intermittent short I would be able to move the door around and get the same result, the doors would keep trying to lock..... I will try and go out and see anything points me in that direction.
The thing that gets me is it only happens once, driving down the road I don't hear the doors randomly lock or anything like that.....
Buts that some good thinking.... good trouble shooting ..... thanks

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I went to play with them after posting and in never did it. Tried a number of times and never happened, not all sure what was going on but happy it stop doing it.... .... ... odd ..... thanks for the feed back adsm08

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, in this case it's not a "short" in the sense that your power is going to ground and tripping the fuse.

In this sense the "short" is two circuits that shouldn't be touching that are.

Anyway, glad it's working correctly now.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Where are your spare keys located? Is it possible someone is just playing around with you trying drive you crazy? My work truck will just lock itself every once in a while I try to never leave the keys in it for fear of being locked out. Kinna of a habit I got when laying carpet in apartment buildings. Allway have the keys in your hand before shutting the door never assume the keys are in your pocket.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Where are your spare keys located? Is it possible someone is just playing around with you trying drive you crazy?
That's a good point too. When my dad bought his Explorer the panic alarm kept going off. He was to the point he was gonna call the dealer he bought it from to make an appointment to get it looked at when I told him I was doing it with the extra remote he didn't know I had.

Then I stopped, and what do you know, it never happened again.

I also did that to my wife's BIL. I snagged his keys the last time we helped them move, programmed my remote quick, then came up along side him on the highway and started messing with his locks. He started freaking out until he saw me in the other lane laughing at him.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would say because it happened after washing it is probably an issue caused by water intrusion as it has now stopped after drying out for a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals