• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why won't you close?

BuckinBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The latches won't stay shut. I bought the bronco knowing that the the driver side latch was always engaging. The passenger side never gave me problems until the other day.... :annoyed:

I opened the gate so I could clean the back. Did what I came to do and shut it. The whole hatch just noticed back. It wouldn't engage the strikers. I've sprayed it with some penetrating oil hoping it was just gummed up or something with age but it hasn't changed.

Are there replacement latches on the internet if I can't fix it or some trick that I could use?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Are the little gray plastic sleeve bushings missing off the striker pins?

BuckinBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The sleeve is on the passenger side but I'm not sure about the driver's side. I'll check in the morning. Would it really affect the latch that much?

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I ehard about a recall on latches for 1984 to 1986 Rangers and Broncos, it was the hood and the doors had defective latches. They said 19 trucks were effected with the hood, and 13,000+ were with the doors. It was the material they made them with aparently.

But if yours is always engaged, open it up, spray some bolt loosener or WD40 on it and wait a few minutes, then move it a few times, when it gets goin, clean up the WD40, and shoot a little grease on it

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was the same way. Tried replacing the bushings with no luck. Finally just got them set in the sweet spot. It took awhile. Keep moving them around.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have done everything short of replacing mine and it still wont latch right on the drivers side. I'll keep at it, eventually something has to give.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
If yours is anything like mine - rust has eatten away the body structure causing the entire rear or the body to sag a good 2-3" - cant fully shut my rear hatch
[/IMG]
the back of the truck body jumps up n down when I hit a good bump ;missingteeth;;missingteeth;;missingteeth;;missingteeth;

BuckinBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ragajungle- No my Bronco is like yours at least not in the back. I've got rust elsewhere. The area around the fuel door is rusted to the point where the back of the door has to pushed in so you can get your finger in to open it.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
my exploder does that too....but i found that the handle doesn't return to it's original position after i open the hatch...i have to push it back myself before closing the hatch

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If yours is anything like mine - rust has eatten away the body structure causing the entire rear or the body to sag a good 2-3" - cant fully shut my rear hatch
[/IMG]
the back of the truck body jumps up n down when I hit a good bump ;missingteeth;;missingteeth;;missingteeth;;missingteeth;
i see a lot of this....most b2s around here look like that,the back of the body is usually held up by the hatch sitting on the bumper.and yea,they are a pain to get closed.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Actually my GF's dad is a welder and he said we are gonna replace that main body cross member and ramp it up with some angle iron and c-channel steel to replace the rot. I'll make sure to get lots of before during after pics.
here's a link to get new latches - all the ones in the u-pull-it are usually jacked too.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=32

BuckinBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would Explorer latches works? I've got an 86 Bronco. If they're interchangeable, that's really convenient. I'll dig out my LMC catalog and order some just to have.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got that problem too.I just slam the hell out of it. I also have to climb through the cab to open the lift gate. Previous owner broke the guts out of the latch

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Mine latches but have to slam the hell out of it to get it to close. Doesn't always stay latched all the way. My plastic sleeves are wearing out and need to be replaced.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals