• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Battery

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking to get a new battery for the 94' 4.0. The one in there is ok but I will be hooking up a winch real soon and winter is coming so... Can anyone recommend one for me, brand, size, etc.?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been using Interstate batteries for many years and have no complaints.

Winch power is at the opposite end of the spectrum from starter motor power.

Car batteries have thin plates which allow them to discharge high amps for a short period, like starting the engine.
The thin plates don't like to be discharged over long periods, and don't recover well when they are drained.

Winches want med amps for a long period, so want a Deep Cycle battery, these have thicker plates, so can't provide high amps all at once but can provide med amps for a long period and recover quite well from even a full discharge.

People often run dual batteries when adding a winch, but you can run a compromise battery, deep cycle with enough amps for the starter motor, but that's only if you have a manual transmission, so you can bump start the engine after pulling it out with the winch, because battery will probably not start the engine after a long pull.

If you have an automatic then I would look at a dual battery setup, that way engine will always start even after a long pull.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do have a manual trans. What about the AGM batteries? I see Interstate has those now too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Absorbent Glass Mat(AGM) battery would be fine, although they used to be sensitive to over charging, i.e. long drives, I am sure that has been dealt with.

They are a "no fluid" battery, so like a dry cell battery, their main purpose is that they can be mounted at pretty much any angle and are sealed so great for aircraft and marine applications.

Never read anything about their use with a winch through?

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK, how about Optima and Odessey batteries? I've heard good things about those too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those are brands so I would check the reviews.
Maybe others will chime in if they have used them.

No one can make a battery that does a starter motor and a winch that can equal two separate batteries design for each purpose.
A compromise battery can do both OK, but not great, which may be fine for your uses.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unless you have a bunch of high powered lights, a massive winch, competition stereo, high compression big block, or some other crazy electrical load... MTP65 Interstate. The MT series(green top) is good, the MTP series (black top)are perfect, even work great with 8k winches and a pair of Daylighters.

That's an amazing battery. That's coming from the guy who had an Optima in his last truck.

Really need some info on the truck's use to recommend a battery. I could recommend TSL Boggers to you, when you really need G Force BEGs...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Why not get a gas powered generator and run the winch off that...save your battery power for the truck...or run an inverter that charges the spare battery for the winch and gives you an a/c option for running power tools and the like...

You can probably buy one for the price of a really good battery...or at least put a chunk down towards it...you'd really impress others with a power source in the middle of nowhere...

I'm thinking of building one as a project...mini power generator...already have a 6.5 hp gas motor and looking for a base, alternator and bracket, and inverter to go with it...I've seen a few plans for them and they are pretty simple to make...

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nothin' too big for this little truck. Still has stock everything. Typical daily set up in the pic, not much room for anything else. Fabing 2" receivers front and rear next week for winch.

Installed this yellow top today...how did I do?? The welding cable is for the rear winch.

Cable costs about $2.48 per foot.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals