• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti-Theft Trouble

Skyagusta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger, V6 5spd. I disconnected the battery a few days ago, and when I went to hook it back up, the anti-theft system had been tripped and now I can't figure out how to turn it off or reset it. I'm not sure if it is the PATS or an aftermarket anti-theft system.

- It was hooked up to an EXTREMELY LOUD horn which had been drilled in right next to the battery. I had to clip the wires to the horn because you can hear it for miles.

- The alarm goes off every time I open the doors and randomly as I'm driving. It consists of headlights, blinkers, and dash board lights constantly flashing (including red light on steering column) and interior beeping (the same as when you leave the lights on after you open the door). After I cut the truck off, it keeps going for a couple minutes before stopping.

- First I tried to reset the computer, disconnected both battery cables overnight. Next morning, still went off. Then I hooked up my code reader, there were no codes but I cleared it anyway. No dice. Then I pulled the fuse (#9 in power distro box I think) and it kept going even while the fuse was out.

- I also tried to trace the wires from the horn, the run under the dash but I'm hesitant to mess with them because I know if PATS gets disabled then the truck won't start.

Sorry for the novel but wanted to get all information out there. I suspect this is an aftermarket system but really don't want to pay $100 for a diagnostic at the dealership (they want $140 just to reset the PATS!). Anybody have anything I could try?

Skyagusta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Also, if this is the wrong forum I apologize in advance. Please move it to the appropriate one.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This sounds like an aftermarket system. Factory alarm systems are not super common on Fords of that era, even rarer on Rangers, and should be completely disabled with the engine running because starting the engine is how you kill the factory alarm once it has been tripped.

Skyagusta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I see. I thought PATS came standard on Fords 1999-2001?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals