• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual hub rattle

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
So I’ve been chasing a rattle in the front end of my truck for a couple months or so. It happens when I hit small bumps, cracks in the black top or go down a rough road. Almost sounds like a loose washer on a bolt. The driver side always rattled more than the passenger side but both do it.

Today I decided to pull the front wheels off and poke around again, mostly looking for anything that might rattle. To no avail, I decided to pull the hubs off and clean them since they were pretty filthy inside (grease). Come to find out, I have a Warn 29071 hub on the drivers side and a Mile Marker 428 on the passenger side. I could make both rattle just shaking them with my hands but the Warn was by far worse. So I disassembled both and cleaned them up. When I took the Warn apart, it had much less grease in it and the bearing was completely dry. I cleaned the bearing out and lightly packed it with wheel bearing grease and applied a light film of very thin marine grade grease to any sliding surfaces. Reassembled and I can’t make it rattle anymore.

The Mile Marker hub was packed full of some generic looking brown grease and has a bushing in it instead of a bearing. It got the same treatment as the Warn hub but this one still rattles, just not as bad as before. Is this a common issue with this style of hub? I’m assuming the gear that slides in to engage the hub when you turn the knobs are what rattles. Is there any cure for this? I put a very minimal amount of grease back in. Just enough to keep the cheap plastic cam from chewing the three teeth off of the engagement disc.

Thanks for any and all input.

Rick

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am guessing you checked when you pulled the wheel but I just had to tighten up my caliper mounting bolts on the passenger side.

This was right after replacing them, so I probably didn't torque them down.

Like you said though, every little bump. Quite irritating.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Brakes are good front and rear. I’ve had them apart a couple times now. First thought was the anti rattle clips were gone but they’re there and in good shape. The Mile Marker hub didn’t start rattling until I locked the hubs in and beat on the truck a little bit.

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The locking hubs shouldn’t be packed with grease, they should be dry with a light coat of grease on the moving parts.
Sounds like the previous owner might of went junkyard shopping for the hubs. You might have worn out parts in them if the rattles are that noticeable.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
The locking hubs shouldn’t be packed with grease, they should be dry with a light coat of grease on the moving parts.
Sounds like the previous owner might of went junkyard shopping for the hubs. You might have worn out parts in them if the rattles are that noticeable.
You’re right on all of the above. The Mile Marker hub had some jy markings on it. The Warn hub was actually worse for wear. It rattles so loud it sounds like I have the dang liberty bell bolted to the end of the driver side beam.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I have the rugged ridge hubs. I made the mistake of putting some grease in them. All they did was hang up. I cleaned all the grease out and shot a bunch of tri-flow silicone lubricant in them and they have worked flawlessly ever since.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I have the rugged ridge hubs. I made the mistake of putting some grease in them. All they did was hang up. I cleaned all the grease out and shot a bunch of tri-flow silicone lubricant in them and they have worked flawlessly ever since.
We’ll see what happens come winter. So far, no problems but I’m sure I’ll be kicking myself when the hubs have to come off in single digit weather.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals