• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This thing rides like a......truck.......

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, obviously. :D

2001 Edge 4x4 with the 16" alloy wheels.

I've noticed that the suspension seems stiffer than any other Ranger or F-150 I've owned. Rough pavement will cause the rear end to step out, on occasion, requiring a little counter-steering (which I enjoy).

Are there alternate spring packages for the Ranger? If so, is that on the door sill sticker?

One other question: the e-brake cable, on the passenger side, is rubbing the rear shock. Is that correct?

EDIT: I found Richard's post with the LINK to the Ford Door Sticker Decoder. According to that, I have 5310 in the front, which is the only spring rate listed for the Ranger (even though there are different spring codes). The rear leaves are 5560 which, again, is the only rate listed for the Ranger (with other codes showing the same spring rate). For the record, the spring rate code, off of the door sill sticker, is "FC". ??? Something doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you haven't yet you might try new shocks.

Mine used to do that, I put in heavier springs from an Explorer (all around) and new shocks and it quit.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I was going to say shocks as well. Ask specifically about softer ones. I believe the hydraulic based shocks will be softer than gas ones.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, shocks.

Shocks have smaller and larger valves, the smaller ones are used the most so will tend to wear out faster.

Also check tire pressure, tires are the first "shock absorber" in the chain of vibrations to the cab, higher pressure will get better MPG but also transfer all "bumps" to the chassis, you may want to lower the pressure for compromise in MPG and better ride for your driving conditions, and it is Free :)

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Dave, shocks sound like a culprit to me.

My neighbors 06 rode like the springs were welded to the frame. We put Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks on it and it was a big improvement. I put the same shocks on my 02 F250 and am very pleased with them. These shocks are the yellow Monroe's for the record.

Monroe is having their Shocktober event tight now which is buy 3 get one 1 free. Combine that with a online coupon for Advance Auto Parts and then use Ebates.com to get an additional 7% off. You'll get them down pretty damn cheap. Break it up into 2 orders and use separate coupons if it helps.

Tire pressure is a good point. A few other things causing the problem could be the binding in the spring eye and shackle bushings. On my Ranger, all of that was seized up which really restricted rear suspension movement. The rubber bushings are an invitation for salt and corrosion. Another could be the leaves. Friction between the leaves can also cause stiff suspension. There is a special graphite based spring paint that can be used. You could also oil the springs up real good.

Worse comes to worse, add some sand bags to the bed, that will always soften the ride. :beer:

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
once again shocks. My 93 would kick the rear end out if I hit a pothole(not fun in the rain or snow). New shocks all the way around tool care of the issue. I replaced mine with factory shocks, cost about $100 for all four.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 99 rides the same way. I have tried new shocks. Been thinking about rebuilding the spring packs a little softer.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine did that going 80 mph down washboard gravel roads to, till I dropped in 64" Chevy springs lol.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all of the replies. It would seem that the consensus is to replace the shocks.

I did forget to mention that the truck has about 126.5K miles on it and is originally from southern Georgia and northern Florida. The underside of the truck is not rusty (like it would be if it had spent its life in the northern Midwest). I do not think the spring eyes are rusty/seized. I might try applying a little gear oil to the leaves to see if that helps with friction between the leaves.

As for the current shocks, they look pretty new. The paint is still shiny and I assumed (yeah, I know) they were installed recently.

The tires are the bigger LT245/75R16 and I keep the internal pressure around 35 psi (for fuel economy).

I will look into the Monroe Gas-Magnum units (as well as others) as "Shock-tober" is almost up!

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What are the current shocks?

When I replaced my shocks (don't remember what brand) a while back with Gas-Matics I noticed the ride quality actually went down. I bought instead Ranchos and was much happier. Typically with shocks you get what you pay for. This is my experience anyway, YMMV.

BTW, you can have a shop that does springs make a pack to whatever spec you want. Failing that there are several pre-made drop-in replacements you can buy online. I recently replaced my springs with brandy-new stiffer packs from an online vendor (I would have to look up who they were...). Shocks are nontheless probably a better and more cost effective option.

Last edited:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual

When I replaced my shocks (don't remember what brand) a while back with Gas-Matics I noticed the ride quality actually went down. I bought instead Ranchos and was much happier. Typically with shocks you get what you pay for. This is my experience anyway, YMMV.

BTW, you can have a shop that does springs make a pack to whatever spec you want. Failing that there are several pre-made drop-in replacements you can buy online. I recently replaced my springs with brandy-new stiffer packs from an online vendor (I would have to look up who they were...). Shocks are nontheless probably a better and more cost effective option.
I put Rancho 9000s on my old F250 and they made it ride way harsher unless I was hitting really big bumps. Shock selection definitely makes a big difference :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bilstiens all the way.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Chris_North said:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the current shocks are. They're black, I know that. :D The PO owned the truck just long enough to fix some front end things and interior items and then sold it. He was working on his B-I-L's Ranger and figured this was a way to make some quick $$$. I do not recall if I asked about the shocks or if he told me about them. It had been so long since I'd driven a pick-up, I figured I just needed to get used to the ride quality. What really made me wonder was the tail kicking out over rough pavement. That seems a little too stiff.

I've worked with the owner @ Eaton Detroit Spring. If I wanted custom leaf packs, I'm sure he has something. However, I did a pack swap on my old Explorer and that was a lot of work. I'd prefer to try shocks first.

Let's see if I can find something, that's in budget, from Monroe or Bilstein.

Doesn't Monroe make OE Ford units?

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I opted to go with a set of Monroe Sensa-Tracks. They were ~$137 with tax and shipping from Rock Auto (local parts stores wanted much more). The "Shock-tober" rebate (Visa gift card) will credit me with about $29. So, about $108, total, after rebate.

Monroe indicates their Gas-Magnum line is considered 'heavy duty' and there is no Gas-Magnum shock for the rear of my Ranger.

I did go out and look at the shocks on my truck (before I placed the Rock Auto order). They're black and the paint is still shiny which leads me to believe they're not that old. That said, perhaps they're 'heavy duty' which is why the truck rides so stiffly. Let's see how the Sensa-Tracks are.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I opted to go with a set of Monroe Sensa-Tracks. They were ~$137 with tax and shipping from Rock Auto (local parts stores wanted much more). The "Shock-tober" rebate (Visa gift card) will credit me with about $29. So, about $108, total, after rebate.

Monroe indicates their Gas-Magnum line is considered 'heavy duty' and there is no Gas-Magnum shock for the rear of my Ranger.

I did go out and look at the shocks on my truck (before I placed the Rock Auto order). They're black and the paint is still shiny which leads me to believe they're not that old. That said, perhaps they're 'heavy duty' which is why the truck rides so stiffly. Let's see how the Sensa-Tracks are.
I have a 2000 ranger sport that sees a lot of wash board and pot holes, new sensa tracs about this time last year, not so good, really a waste of money for me, not saying good or bad or expensive about bilstein, but, they are going on in the spring. Have had them before and zero complaints.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals