• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Ranger Turbo swap

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I had that problem and was part of the reason for my rebuild a couple years ago, luckily I had another engine sitting around that didn't have a cracked head. I think the turbo head is the same as the '85-88 Ranger head

ancient

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Transmission
Automatic
The turbo head has a D shaped combustion chamber while Rangers had a heart shaped chamber. Turbo heads breath somewhat better.

2.3tdangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turrrrrbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm gonna check the head out real good. I want the truck to run good for now and then start getting into the power. Do you guys have stock clutches in yours? Im wondering if i should just buck up and buy a better clutch to begin with.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you have the funds I would recommend it as I ran a stock clutch for a while and it didn't like it a lot after a while, I went with a Centerforce last time and it's a nice setup, I don't think they have a kit of the parts you need which is just the pressure plate with the weights and their stock replacement friction disc, I put the part numbers on the turbo board somewhere...

2.3tdangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turrrrrbo
Transmission
Manual
Get this thread started again

Alright so I just thought id update this since im getting going on the project again. Sunday I went and picked up a truck full of parts from a gentlemen named Roger that is also on here, so Roger if you see this, Thanks again:icon_thumby: . So I have changed plans and got a t5 with clutch and flywheel and also 2 more 87-88 Thunderbird motor, one virgin block, and one bored out .20 over. Also a head that had been gone through and also the head with leaky valves (reason the motor and trans was pulled from the ranger.) In the deal i got wiring, computer, downpipe and 2 of about everything i need.

2.3tdangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turrrrrbo
Transmission
Manual
More progress tonight. Ordering all rings, bearings, etc. tomorrow hopefully.

Previous owner converted the aluminum oil plan too work along with the crank trigger ignition.
Quick question, has anyone ever just moved the whole motor and trans assembly forward enough ( making custom motor mounts anyways) to not cut any holes in the floor and use an electric fan? Also on the DaveR article it says the existing ranger Driveline will fit with no modification? does that mean that the overall length is not any different and the shifter is just moved back? I could just measure but if no one responds i guess i will :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals