• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ranger 4 cyl. driveshaft balancer broken off.

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
well, for a few weeks now the truck has had a horrible resonating sound around 2000 rpm and I've noticed its been a little rougher and shakier to drive. I got under the truck today and saw that the drive shaft balancer (perfectly cylindrical, attached with a gasket right between the U joints and the back of the tranny) had broken off and is just there rattling around. I have not driven it since I found the problem, but I did note that the truck got rougher and rougher to drive as time went on. It's not horrible to drive right now, but I definitely noticed something was up.
I guess what I'm asking is... what do I do? I've read probably ten different answers on the internet. I've heard everything from take it off and keep driving all the way to replacing the drive shaft. any input greatly appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with what you're describing. Can you post a pic?

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
as I'm sure you see, the U joint has a rubber like gasket on it, and the piece in my hand should be wrapped around that gasket (the inside of the cylinder is also coated with the rubbery material) but it broke off and is not rattling around
also, I feel I should add that this part is only found on the four cylinder trucks because they need more balance (90 deg.) than a v6 (60 deg.) or v8 (45 deg.)

Attachments

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I see. My suggestion is a junk yard. I don't believe that piece balances, but does absorb vibrations.

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I see. My suggestion is a junk yard. I don't believe that piece balances, but does absorb vibrations.
Hmmm... the question now becomes, how do I replace it? its one thing to have it in your hand, but I wonder if its even possible to replace it. that rubber gasket will probably be tough to get off and I'm not even sure what kind of tools it will need. wondering if it might be easier to to get a junk yard drive shaft and swap it out. also, if I did replace the ring and the gasket, I'm pretty sure id need not have it pressed on, which means full removal anyway. thankfully its not the xl so its a one piece shaft.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That piece would be molded in from the factory. It would require removing the u-joint and replacing the whole piece. A junk yard shaft is easiest.

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
That piece would be molded in from the factory. It would require removing the u-joint and replacing the whole piece. A junk yard shaft is easiest.
perhaps even just replace the whole U joint?
Well thanks for your help.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I had that happen on mine. I just took mine off and noticed no difference. Been probably 50,000 miles now. Still no issues even with my steep gearing.

I'm sure it does stuff, if you notice it having some vibrations then I'd replace the part. But you should be able to drive it for at least a couple weeks without much issue.

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I had that happen on mine. I just took mine off and noticed no difference. Been probably 50,000 miles now. Still no issues even with my steep gearing.

I'm sure it does stuff, if you notice it having some vibrations then I'd replace the part. But you should be able to drive it for at least a couple weeks without much issue.
just took it off. Here's to hoping it lasts another 100,000 kilometres :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals