• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Few random questions..

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Had a couple of questions that I wanted to ask you guys..
I have an oiled filter setup in my 93 4.0, and I was curious what the thoughts on filter wraps? Like does it reduce the flow the open filter creates (i like to think of them as high flow/less restrictive filters, since we know they aren't real cold air filters) , and if not would running just a cleaned and dried oiled filter (without oil) with a wrap be reasonable? I know without the oil it can let a lot through, but what about with a wrap?
Also, I've been having an issue with rough starts, like takes a little to fire up, then I'll get some serious clicking, or ticking. Not like the constant lifter tick, or a pre detonation ping, but a straight " click click click click" for a minute then it goes away. And if I stop it and start it, it doesn't do it anymore.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I used to run a pre filter [filter wrap ] whatever you wan to call them on a baja bug all over the blackrock desert in Nevada, and they would be completely covered in dust after a day of fun, when I got back to camp I would put on a clean wrap and be ready for the next run . always carried two extra wraps with a light amount of trans fluid rubbed in the foam , kept them in a ziplock bag.
When I got home cleaned them in a solvent tank let em dry, oil em up and good to go.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. I was wondering if there was were any pros/cons to running it un oiled with the wrap to compensate for the lack of oil.
Also, just drove about 60 miles, and it was acting odd, like a few tiny misfires, or I assume that's what it is, just feels like it puts itself in neutral for a half second, and without CEL) , seemed sluggish, brakes didn't feel right, and it didn't want to shift right, like it doesn't want to downshift appropriately, and all around felt strange. I had a coil pack, and MAF go out on me a year ago, so I think it's either the crappy Vatozone coil pack, or the junk yard MAF.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Running an unoiled or dry prefilter does nothing to filter dust/contaminates.
It would be a wast of money.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
gotcha. I was just curious since a lot of people complain about MAF fouling due to the oil.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I use fresh transmission fluid in a small oil pump and dribble the fluid length ways in four places and kinda massage it all through the filter try to get full coverage inside and out. then take a shop towel wrap around the filter then wring out the excess , you don't want it wet or dripping=thats a problem.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals