• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 2.4 won't start in the cold

84stang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new to this page and truck. my 1992 Ford Ranger XLT that will not start when its cold. If I take my throttle body hose off and spray starting fluid into it it will fire and then run. On extreme cold days it takes several times of spaying fluid to start. I tried replacing the fuel pump relay and nothing. when I do a cold start and turn the key forward I do not hear the fuel pump engage, I do however hear a relay click( not sure whitch one). this morning I ran a jumper from the battery to the ECC relay turned the key and it started. I went to the auto parts store bought a ECC relay and the truck still did not start until I sprayed starting fluid in it and then she ran. any ideas on what is going on would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EEC relay and Fuel Pump Relay should be next to each other and they both use the same relay part number.

Try swapping Fuel pump relay out.

You need to hear that fuel pump come on for 2 seconds with the key being turned on.

If you look on this page at the diagram of the OBD I test port: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

test connector is usually on Drivers side of engine bay near firewall, but it can also be on passenger side in some years

In diagram you will see a port/connector labelled Fuel Pump
If key is on and you Ground that port/connector the fuel pump relay should click and fuel pump should come on.

Just use a jumper wire to known good ground point.

84stang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay I will try jumping that wire, but I should note that I have replaced the fuel relay already. And I also want to make it clear that once I use starting fluid to start the truck , it does stay running. Like I said on extremely cold days it takes several times of starting fluid and then the truck dying and respraying starting fluid but then yes the truck still stays running. After the motor is warm and hot and driven around for a while, I can turn the truck off and restart the truck without a problem until the motor gets cold.by

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rangers(and most other fuel injected engines) have a cold start routine that the computer follows.
Key on
Computer turns on
Fuel pump comes on for 2 seconds
IAC Valve opens all the way
Computer checks engine temperature via ECT Sensor(2 wire sensor only used by the computer)
If ECT sensor shows engine is cold, computer switches to "choke mode"(Open loop)
Injectors are opened longer for rich fuel mix
Target idle is 1,100-1,200rpms

So when engine starts RPMs should jump to 1,500+ because IAC valve is open all the way, then in a few seconds idle should drop but be at least 1,100 cold.

If your engine isn't doing this(after you add fuel manually) then IAC Valve could be dirty/bad, ECT sensor could be bad, or unplugged, or computer is bad.

Computer

84stang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
key on, the fuel pump test work. Truck then started after shut the truck off let it cool down and wouldn't restart. Then I decided to run a jumper and toggle from the battery to pin number 3 on the fuel pump relay and the ECC relay. With toggle on go in the truck it , starts right up. Not sure what the problem is but I'm satisfied with having to use a toggle to drive my truck. Thanks for the help

84stang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I should also note once the truck is started I do turn off the toggle switch in the truck does continue to run. Once again thank you maybe this will be helpful to somebody else.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
I think I'm having a similar problem. ..might check the relay next...it's driving me crazy. ..barely can get it started when it's cold...it lopes along barely running for several minutes and progressively gets better till it snaps out of it and runs normal...after that it starts fine till it cools all the way down again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals