• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical Issues starter or alternator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
This past week I had all my seals replaced, head gasket, oil pan gasket, everything replaced. Now I'm having issues starting it. Sometimes it would start right up sometimes it will need a jump It runs normally once started. The battery is 5 months old so, I looked at the alternator, AutoZone said its bad after a test so I replaced it. Still having some issues, the starter keeps going for about a second after the engine starts. once or twice it just stuck until I turned the truck off.

I guess the question now is should I replace the starter? and does anyone have any tips I replaced the alternator no problem, but I took it to a shop for the seals.

93 3l auto 2wd

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like perhaps you have a bad bendix assembly. Don't know if they're replaceable on those or not. Im sure someone else will know and chime in. As far as replacing the starter goes, should be fairly simple. Would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before you start messing with it, because there is 12v direct from the battery at your big post on the starter. Not familiar with the 3.0, but there should be 2 or three bolts holding the starter itself, then you should probably have a big wire and a small wire connected to separate posts on the starter assembly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like perhaps you have a bad bendix assembly. Don't know if they're replaceable on those or not. Im sure someone else will know and chime in. As far as replacing the starter goes, should be fairly simple. Would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before you start messing with it, because there is 12v direct from the battery at your big post on the starter. Not familiar with the 3.0, but there should be 2 or three bolts holding the starter itself, then you should probably have a big wire and a small wire connected to separate posts on the starter assembly.
What is a bendix, I've seen in mentioned when i searched starter issues.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A bendix is the assembly mounted on the end of the starter, basically its a spring loaded gear that when turned by the starter motor, centrifugal force slides the starter gear down to the end of the shaft, causing the teeth on the gear to contact the teeth on the flywheel, then when the starter motor stops turning, the spring should overcome that force, retracting the gear back to the opposite end of the shaft so its not riding on the flywheel all the time.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
A bendix is the assembly mounted on the end of the starter, basically its a spring loaded gear that when turned by the starter motor, centrifugal force slides the starter gear down to the end of the shaft, causing the teeth on the gear to contact the teeth on the flywheel, then when the starter motor stops turning, the spring should overcome that force, retracting the gear back to the opposite end of the shaft so its not riding on the flywheel all the time.
Gotcha thanks, I'm busy hitting this thing with PB blaster I think first thing in the morning I'm, just going to replace the starter. Would a new starter come with a new bendix?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
got it replaced pretty easy, thanks for the help.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No problem, good to see you got it done.

Bapfoutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Usually the battery connectors and the wires that are crimped get corroded, use wire brush on them and check the wires to starter to see if they corroded also

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals