• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger and self contained VSS?

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
is this possible? I'm working on a Turbo coupe swap, and If I get a VSS sensor can I wire it into the existing dash and delete the old ECU completely? I've got the M5od transmission mated to a (for now) 2.3L engine

any ideas? will the speedo in the dash take the raw data from the sensor (connections wise) if I delete the sensors from the back?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dakota Digital makes a universal VSS interface: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/

This would allow you to calibrate the VSS signal so speedometer/odometer would read correctly without PCM or GEM pass thru for tire size and axle ratio changes.

I believe you would have ABS on a '98 so you would get the VSS signal from the ABS module same as PCM or GEM would
If you delete the VSS on rear axle then you would lose ABS, but I believe M5OD still has speedometer cable hole, if so you could add the tail shaft gear and speedo gear/VSS to that hole.

Last edited:

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dakota Digital makes a universal VSS interface: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/

This would allow you to calibrate the VSS signal so speedometer/odometer would read correctly without PCM or GEM pass thru for tire size and axle ratio changes.

I believe you would have ABS on a '98 so you would get the VSS signal from the ABS module same as PCM or GEM would
If you delete the VSS on rear axle then you would lose ABS, but I believe M5OD still has speedometer cable hole, if so you could add the tail shaft gear and speedo gear/VSS to that hole.
yeah it's a 1998 with the module. so does that mean it sends data to the dash anyways? I could just pull a VSS sensor from the junkyard....would that plug into the dash directly?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal."

According to the above the PCM(ECU) can be removed and it will not effect speedometer.
But you do need to leave the axle VSS as is

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i was wondering about that. thanks. I think I'll know for sure when I pull the motor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals