• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ac help!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
out of curiosity... what is the static pressure on both sides? ie a/c off?

that is a very high low side pressure, where did you get your info on how much refrigerant to add to the system?

AJ

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately my step father thought it would be a good idea to keep cramming refrigerant into the system hoping that the sides would even out, all I ended up with was a very high pressured low side, because he was putting refrigerant in, and the compressor was not on it was not cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will note that the issues I'm having started long before he did that

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
It's grossly overcharged if it was cool outside as stated. If liquid was dumped in the low side it's very postsble/easy to blow valves in the comp.
I'm also guessing u have air in the system.
What about the orifice tube? Is it installed proper? Is it the right one?

Last edited:

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's grossly overcharged if it was cool outside as stated. If liquid was dumped in the low side it's very postsble/easy to blow valves in the comp.
I'm also guessing u have air in the system.
What about the orifice tube? Is it installed proper? Is it the right one?

As far as I know the orifice tube is the right one and is installed properly, I can get the charged fixed, however this issue happened before it was overcharged, any guess as to what steps I should take after correcting the charge

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
sounds like it is overcharged. hopefully nothing was damaged. have the system evacuated / refrigerant recovered and start from scratch.

When I fill an empty system for the first time, i hook up a manifold gauge set and I make sure that the truck is off and that the refrigerant is filling both sides, high and low. once the pressure stabilizes to about50 or 60 psi on both sides, I close the refrigerant valve on the manifold itself and then start the vehicle and turn the a/c on.

This ensures that there is enough pressure throughout the system so that when you do turn on the a/c the compressor will cycle without having to jump it. once the high side manifold valve is closed, it will only fill through the low side but will still give pressure readings for the high side.

AJ

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
AIR will cause high pressures.
If a vac is pulled down without a gauge manifold even a great vac onthe system will be broken if a hose is taken off and connected to a DIY Can hose.

System will cycle on low pressure in cool/cold weather
r134 does not have fast response and will takes longer to stabilize

https://youtu.be/kUdCa3feGvg &fs=1" width="644" height="390">https://youtu.be/kUdCa3feGvg &fs=1" />https://youtu.be/kUdCa3feGvg ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= https://youtu.be/kUdCa3feGvg

Last edited:

whedbeec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like it is overcharged. hopefully nothing was damaged. have the system evacuated / refrigerant recovered and start from scratch.

When I fill an empty system for the first time, i hook up a manifold gauge set and I make sure that the truck is off and that the refrigerant is filling both sides, high and low. once the pressure stabilizes to about50 or 60 psi on both sides, I close the refrigerant valve on the manifold itself and then start the vehicle and turn the a/c on.

This ensures that there is enough pressure throughout the system so that when you do turn on the a/c the compressor will cycle without having to jump it. once the high side manifold valve is closed, it will only fill through the low side but will still give pressure readings for the high side.

AJ

What I am concerned about, is that the compressor did not turn on prior to it being overcharged.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals