• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone else getting BAD milage w/ the 4.0?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guys,
Not sure what the cause is and looking for help. My 4.0/5 speed runs like a spotted ape, whatever that really means..., but since the cold (-30 to -50F) really hit up here the gas milage has plumetted. I know driving in extended cold will decrease milage but yikes mine is truly terrible, like 10-12MPH. I have double checked for vacume leaks, none; fuel pressure right on the mark; no codes; no CEL and no gas leaks. Anyone else on COLD climates suffering this too?

chandymanusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stupid question is it running anywhere near a warm temp. My ranger is notorious for bad gas mileage in the winter because it doesn't like to warm up. LOL

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Extended warm ups?
Overcoming extra friction re oil viscosity?
Extra fuel needed for start up in extreme cold?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Check tire pressure. The colder it is outside, the more the tire pressure will drop. My truck's tires dropped by 10 psi when the temps reached 15*. And don't forget to let that extra air out when it gets warmer again.

What kind of driving are you doing? If it's all short trips (10 miles or less) then I'd say your mileage is perfectly normal. My Explorer would always get about 12 mpg in the winter when I was commuting about 2 miles each way to school. Normal mpg for it is about 17-18 mpg.

Last edited:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Dude, being in Alaska, isn't it ALWAYS cold there?

But I would agree with the above comments. If your tire pressure is still good, it could be a problem somewhere else on your vehicle. It's a Gen I (or Gen II), so its possible that something ELSE may be coming apart aside form your previously checked places. Then again, if there are no codes....*shrugs*

I usually like the Seafoam treatment from my brakebooster for my vacuum lines, the gas tank for a fuel line/injectors cleaner, and occasionally in my oil to remove some of the sludge before my oil change. Perhaps you could have built up sludge over the years in your crankcase, and it makes matters worse when its cold and the engine is barely up to temperature. You could try this, and change your oil. Mystery Oil also works really well. Let your truck warm up, idle, pour in the treatment, idle for 10-15 minutes, and change oil. I noticed a difference in my truck the first time I did it. Perhaps it could do the same for you with your colder conditions.

Mechanically, I dunno. You could check your wheel bearings for play since this causes a couple MPG. Really, it could be anything. It's hard to diagnose over hte Internet without being there and with minimal information, save for being "cold."

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Everything I've ever owned always gets worse in the cold. I've always attributed it to the different fuel mixture. Now they've added ethanol in there, and it makes it even worse. In my F150, I've gone from 15-16 mpg's to 12.5-13 mpg's.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I miss my Nissan VQ35. I got at worst 20 mpg, 32 at best taking it on highway. For 250 ho v6 it was great. Also it only had 32k miles. At 122k with my explorer I'm getting an average of 15.9mpg in the summer. Bout 310 miles to a tank with stock tire size and 250-260 with my 265/75/16 BF Goodrich AT's.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All,
Thanks for the replys. No it is not ALWAYS cold up here, just every month that isn't Jun, Jul or Aug. Not worried about sludge as I took a good look at the motor before I put it in, valve cover gaskets, etc. And I run synthitic oils all around. Some might recall I was posting a year or so ago about my 4.0 install that would not start after sitting out in the cold so this truck got, and gets, seafoamed etc. I was defintiely thinking the extra run time for warm up, cold oil, square tires for a while till they turn round again but it really seems the milage is truly terrible. Mainly it goes to/from work here on base so less than 10 miles a day in slow driving. My 87/2.9 doesn't do this bad in the winer, though not a whole lot better. Even my Chevy does worse in the winter, even the thrid door latch doesn't function perfectly from the metal shrinking. I'll recheck the air pressure when I get back to driving. I took off the big mudders and am running 31" Revos now and they seem to stay up even when driving when it's really cold out. Forgot to mention that it also has a locker in the front axle and I keep the hubs locked. I did run it for a couple days without the hubs locked but it almost seems I can watch the gauge go down. :dntknw: Hopefully it all gets better as the weather warms up. And Texas winters will be WAY better on my trucks come next winter..:icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wait? You took your big tires off and put the 31's back on it?

Did you change out your speedometer drive gear too? That may be messing with your calculations.

But traveling less than 10 miles in slow traffic, in temps that low. Yeah, you aren't doing too bad on fuel for all that.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I get that kind of mileage when I city drive. Highways I still get 21 mpg.

I also drive the sh!t out of it cause its fun to drive.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I never "adjusted" it for the big tires. And yeah, the 4.0/5 speed combo is a blast to drive and I’ve been keeping my foot out of it as gas up here is nearly $4/gal. I've been careful of 1st gear too as I've done a couple 360 degree turns unintentionally even with the locker engaged and the LS rear diff. Thanks again for everyone’s inputs. As a side note it also seems the 88 w/ 4.0/5 speed is way lighter in feel then my 87 2.9/A4LD. Both have explorer axles and 4 wheel disk and 31” tires. Other than the drive train differences is the 87 has steel wheels and the 88 now has 98 Explorer rims. :icon_confused: :dntknw:

Last edited:

norcals91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cold dense air combined with fuel injection equals more fuel to make a bigger boom in your combustion. This us why it runs so well but uses so much gas. Warmer less dense air requires less fuel to be at proper stoich this better mpg.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
My BIIs (2.9 and 2.8) are winter drivers. I run them on 140 mile commutes each day. In the summer time I'll get 21mpg, in the winter, 14.5 - 15. That's on the highway combined in and out of 4x4 at anywhere from -25 to +20. Driving slower with shorter distances and locked in, I can see you getting that kind of mileage.
I can't accurately check the mileage on my '96 4.0/5sp because the odometer isn't functioning (speedo is), but because I run the same routes as I have been for 12 years, I'll say the mileage is going to average out similarly. This has been an unusually warm winter with very little snow here, so can't do apples to apples.

My son-in-law is an Alaskan native though. His family is now living in Anchorage not too far from you. I've been up there a time or two.

JustME

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone taken into consideration that the A/C runs in the winter to dry the air in the cab, my Dodge was the same and it took me awhile to figure it out, so unless you disconnect it will continue to cycle with the defrost and possibly the heater. It is supposed to prevent fogging so it might be with just the defroster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals