• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for new tires

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 94 B4000 LE 4wd that came from the factory with 15 inch alloys and OEM tires at 265-75-15. I'm finding this to be a very odd size tire and there really aren't many if any options available anymore for on/off road use in this size. So i'm thinking about stepping up to a 16 inch wheel and tires of 265-70-16 which has roughly the same size diameter and would give me some tire options.

Can anyone think of any gotcha's with this plan? I know I'll need a wheel with a center bore that can fit the locking hubs. Anyone know the center bore size I need to use? Anything else I need to know or should look at?

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Naw, sounds like you got it all. You should be able to tell them the year/model and they should be able to make sure the rim clears the hub. White wagon wheels are always sick

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks.

I'm still searching for a wheel I like that won't break the bank. A lot of them say they will fit online but have center caps that I would have to cut or not use in the front because of the hubs.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the wagon wheels are pretty cheap cause they're the most basic thing there is... they also come with some weight too

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
265/75/15 is basically the metric equivalent of a 31x10.50x15. Searching that size will net you many more options.

However if you are set on going up to 16's, there are some factory options available. The twin beam suspension shares the same wheel requires as the second gen explorer, first gen sport trac, and third gen explorer sport (2 door explorer with sport trac style front clip). Any of the factory 16 inch wheels from those explorers will work on your truck. I have a first gen explorer with the sport trac style wheels on it. My explorer has the same front suspension as your truck. I have the factory centers and used a hole saw to cut a hole in the front centers for the locking hubs.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you! Those sport trac wheels are exactly what I've been looking for! Now I just have to find some. Any ballpark on what I should expect to pay for a set in decent condition?

I thought about the 31x10.5 option but the guy I usually get tires from didn't recommend it because he said most of the time there's no treadwear warranty for them. Maybe that doesn't matter. It's definitely on table if I can't find some 16s I like.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All the major brand 31s have a warranty. My Falkens are 50k warranted, for example.

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm. Maybe I misunderstood my tire guy or maybe he was just plain wrong. Looking at tires on Tire rack I see you're correct about the tread wear warranty. Guess I have options. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals