• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For those of you with an Explorer Overhead.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How large is it all together?

I was wondering how hard it would be to smuggle one out of a JY. My cousin picked up an overhead console for his mothers caravan and they charged him 40 dollars for it, and an extra 10 in fees.

Highway robbery at that price.

If I'm gonna drop 100 down there in a couple weeks I'll definitely try to make the trip worth while by adding one of those to the list, but I don't need the price to jump to 150 just from a little think like that.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Its about a foot in length and 7 or so inches wide tapered down a bit. Just purchase the thing. You wouldn't like it if someone stole from you. I paid $45.00 for mine.

LITTLE FOOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i pay 10$ total for 2
if you would like i can get you one for 15$ with shipping

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well since they crush their cars after two months of being in the lot, and they charge insane amounts there anyway.

I could probably get a discount if I spend enough.. I'll go the legal route. Pretty soon were picking up a bed, two tailgates, two axles, two doors, a fender, three bumpers, and maybe some seats. Fixing all the trucks. Actually, I need to look for some stuff for the Windstar while I'm there too.

Sometimes they just tell me to take things when it's busy there. Went to pick up a mirror once and since there was 5 people in line at their register they asked me what I had, I said just the mirror, and they told me to just go.

Occasionally they have this pissy guy there, he's a toolbox nazi. Makes you empty your toolbox and if he sees a tool that looks oddball in a set (all of mine are) he will assume you found it in the yard and try to say you have to pay for it.

He hated how I would walk in with a tire iron and walk out with nothing. I was just scouting for rims. But he made me empty my pockets every single time. Makes me want to actually steal something the way he accuses me. Good thing he only works Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
WOW!!! I need to go to one of you guys' yards! The salvage yard here in town has a 97 Explorer with a CHERRY overhead console (the adhesive strip in the garage door opener compartment still has its protective sheet on it) and they want $150-200 just for the overhead, not including the wiring. Talk about a F--- JOB!!!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I know. Some yards are just plain crazy.

The one I go to only charges 40 dollars for an axle, and has sales occasionally on transmissions at 50 dollars a pop. Really cheap, but they make up for it in their other prices.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
WOW!!! I need to go to one of you guys' yards! The salvage yard here in town has a 97 Explorer with a CHERRY overhead console (the adhesive strip in the garage door opener compartment still has its protective sheet on it) and they want $150-200 just for the overhead, not including the wiring. Talk about a F--- JOB!!!
This is exactly why the junkyard is a last resort for me.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I got mine I also got a Exploder gauge cluster and a few plugs from a harness and only paid $35 for the all that and the overhead console. They didn't charge me for the overhead - clusters go for $32 each.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'll call and ask, usually it depends on who the person is because they can classify it as a gauge because of the temp gauge, but they can also classify it as a console, or as a piece of interior trip which is either around 50 dollars, 30 dollars, or 5 dollars in that order. I need to confirm that their price on axles is correct from last time I was up there and checked the price sheet anyway.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THIS is the only place we go to in town, because there prices are very fair, and my buddy and I have bought so much stuff there we get discounts.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty good prices. I like how they vary them depending on what it is exactly, like having a different price from a 4spd tranny to a 4spd tranny overdive.

Too bad it's in Canada. :D

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Ya i got two OHC for aprox. for $5 a piece. I have three of them now. I just let a couple mint ones go cause I didn't need them anymore. maybe I should start gettign them and selling them for $25 with wiring on ebay.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'll buy one from you for $25 right now if you've got the wiring and bracket to go with it.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
wow paid $25 for mine a few years ago with bracket, harness, for my 2000 ranger, pick in pull is where to go,

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I paid 8.52 for two with temp sensors and brackets, but last time I went I was going to grab one for a friend and they wanted like 25 for it:icon_confused:

-plumcrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals