• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shift knob

gorillazfan321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have a 91 ranger and i cant figure out for the life of me how to get the shift knob out. i found one on ebay i want to get but i cant get my shift knob off. any suggestions?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Pull... Really hard...

sean9721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
They should pull right off. You may have to heat it up some to soften the glue. I pulled mine off on a hot day waiting for my sister at the middle school.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd leave it alone, you're lucky if it's still stuck, every RBV I've had did the notoriously popular and annoying "shift knob that falls off in your hand" trick...

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I had to take a crescent wench and bang up and down under it to get one off.A little epoxy when you put the new one on

gorillazfan321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yea.... its really on there i might just scratch the idea, although it is kinda cold out today maybe i'll try on a warmer day to see what i can do... thanks all for the help

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
take a heat gun and heat er up. if not, and this will destroy ur original knob. pry off the shift select button. take a bfh and a flat head and hammer the driver in between shifter and said knob and pretty much break it off. thats how i did mine. and the new knob(s) i used worked perfectly.

mercman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Before you go destroying your good shift know make sure your aftermarket piece has a set screw, because the ranger shifter is splined and not threaded like most of those need.

94dangaranga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 91 ranger and i cant figure out for the life of me how to get the shift knob out. i found one on ebay i want to get but i cant get my shift knob off. any suggestions?
sawall thats what i had to do

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
They should pull right off. You may have to heat it up some to soften the glue. I pulled mine off on a hot day waiting for my sister at the middle school.
your sister....right. :icon_thumby:

:icon_rofl:

Mine falls off on its own...so I wrapped the shifter in electrical tape and then shoved the knob on as hard as I could. It's NEVER coming off now.

Does the transfer case knob come off the same way as the transmission, or is it threaded?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
your sister....right. :icon_thumby:

:icon_rofl:

Mine falls off on its own...so I wrapped the shifter in electrical tape and then shoved the knob on as hard as I could. It's NEVER coming off now.

Does the transfer case knob come off the same way as the transmission, or is it threaded?
Nope it's splined too, I've got a case that the knob fell off of and it just spins on the shaft too lol.

my 97's knob is still stuck tight, but it kinda sucks because the gear selectors are all crooked... I may see if I get a good day in the upper 80's in the comming weeks and give it a good yank to try to straighten it out.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm only 17.
no problem buddy, just given ya a hard time. :D I take crap from my friends about the elementary school down the street from my house, and I'm 25.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Just heat it. There's no need to ruin it by breaking/prying/cutting it off. Put a box end or crescent wrench under it as tight as it will close on the shift lever, heat it, then hammer the wrench from the bottom.

Watch out, once it comes loose it usually flies.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Nope it's splined too, I've got a case that the knob fell off of and it just spins on the shaft too lol.

my 97's knob is still stuck tight, but it kinda sucks because the gear selectors are all crooked... I may see if I get a good day in the upper 80's in the comming weeks and give it a good yank to try to straighten it out.
You can just pop off the gear indicator and put it back on IIRC. It's been awhile since I had a stock shifter knob.

James

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals