• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer overhead console wire problem

tylerNTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I adapted an used overhead console, from a explorer in my Ranger. It came without the temperature sensor, this week I just discover that the sensor is just a termistor type NTC 10k.

I bought the termistor and connect it between the temp sensor wires, I want it to monitor the temperature inside the vehicle.

It is working correctly, except because sometimes it freezes in the lower temperature and just show a higher temperature after I reset de sensor opening its circuit.

I just read the article teaching how to instal the console.
My doubt is how do I cancel the VSS?
It is connecting the GY/BK wire to 12V? (or to ground?)

In future I intend to make something installing other NTC´s (outside, close to the motor, etc) and a circuit to commutate around then.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Others have said that leaving it unconnected is all you need to do. When mine wasn't working I had it connected to a different Grey/Black wire (Solenoid Common Line for the Cruise Control Servo); I'm guessing that was a +12V line. The VSS signal is a signal which modifies both output voltage and output frequency in response to speed; the frequency is what the OHC seems like it is looking for. So you'd want something that's generating a signal, like a tach line... although if you're willing to go into a tach line, you might as well go into the VSS.

tylerNTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is unconnected and it freezes.

In a Brazilian forum someone said that the signal from VSS is a Square wave (at 60km/h +- 75Hz). But the guy did not said the amplitude.

Someone confirm this information about the square waver? In wich amplitude?

Last edited:

#1greenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i haven't had mine connected since i put it in since there is no reason for it and it works great...... wind speed has nothing to do with temp in any way........ the temp thing does not have the features to record wind chill only plan temp's.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals