• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ford Ranger 4.0 Cat Delete

LivingOnTheEdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mercedes-
Engine Size
4.0 V6 SOHC, 4.8TD R4
Transmission
Automatic
Ok So I know after reading that there is a few thread write ups on this and I have read them to no understanding. All I understand is this, I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0 with 2 pre cats and 2 cats. In the mass mix up of crap, there is 4 o2 Sensors, 2 upstream (before the precats) and 2 where the cats are.

The issue I am having is this. When I drive my car normally and then shut it off after however long of driving the cats get extremely hot and cause a strange burning smell. I went to a local speed shop, deals with mustangs and such, and the owner told me its the cats that are burning and need to be replaced. So now the problem is, which cats are they? Are they the pre-cats, or the cats? If I can get away with just replacing the pre-cats and then getting an H-Pipe made or even a Y Pipe and then just dumping from the pre-cats into the current exhaust, is that doable without having a check engine light? Is it possible to turn off the down stream o2 sensors with a Flashpaq 1842 or SCT Tuner?

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My 01 only has 3 sensors, 2 before precats and 1 after the last cat. I've got my last sensor turned off for the use of an aftermarket wideband. Sure you can bypass the cats, but I would not recommend it. My main cats are gutted and I freaking hate it. The stench is terrible even with the precats in place. Also since mine are gutted, it flows worse than just a straight pipe and makes a weird airy sound. 0/10 would recommend

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cats don't burn by themselves. Either they failed due to old age or something got into them, fuel or coolant would be the most likely suspects. Either one points to a bigger problem that needs addressed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals