• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasket...

stimmie78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know where I can get the gasket that goes from the fm146 trans to the transfer case? It's on my 89 BII. Got a part number maybe? I'm hoping it's not a dealer only item.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest going to autozone or your favorite auto parts place and get a roll of gasket material and make your own. The blue stuff is the best as it is thicker and designed for water applications like thermostat housings and the like. Just hold it on the part you need a gasket for and lightly tap on the gasket against the edge of the trans flange both inner and outer edges. This will either cut the gasket to the perfet size for you or leave the imprint for you to cut manually depending on how hard you hit it. For the bolt holes, once the gasket is cut out hold it in place again and with the ball end of a ball peen hammer tap again like before on the bolt hole. I have used that trick for 20+ years making gaskets. Just make darn shure the gasket material doesnt slide around while tapping or you wont get a good gasket.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the gasket isn't really needed the area between the transmission and the tcase should remain dry. the tailshaft gasket is really only needed on auto trans trucks, unless you have a bad transmission output seal or a bad input seal on the tcase.

stimmie78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would think it does matter, for the sake of metal to metal contact. If it didn't matter they wouldn't have put it there.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I would think it does matter, for the sake of metal to metal contact. If it didn't matter they wouldn't have put it there.
We made our gasket to mate our A4LD to the dummy transfer case. It wasn't hard, and we have enough gasket material left for future projects. Just take your time and it'll be fine.

S-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A bead of blue RTV will do it. I'd be surprised if you can't get one just about anywhere though. Dealership shouldn't be all that expensive though. It's just a paper gasket, most of the time even at the dealer it's only $5 or $10.

They probably did put it in there for a reason, but I have found that in all practical application they don't seem to be all that important. I've put together half a dozen or so without that gasket and none of them ever leaked from that spot.

My current setup is pissing fluid out the rear output shaft seal and dripping out the trans drain plug, but the mating area is dry as a bone.

stimmie78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I finally got a chance to go to the local ford dealer today... got the gasket. cost me just under $4. p/n E9TZ-7086-A for anyone else who would need one...

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same question, except I'm changing mine from elec to manual.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ive never used a gasket and never had any problems with it. it's not there to stop any leak, if you look theres a drain in the same exact place so its not gonna hold any fluid anyways. im sure ford had a reason for it to be there, but i sure dont see why.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally got a chance to go to the local ford dealer today... got the gasket. cost me just under $4. p/n E9TZ-7086-A for anyone else who would need one...
Had to order mine in, costing me 8 bucks from my dealer. No worries. Just want my manual t case. Small price to pay.:icon_thumby:

stimmie78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was completely shocked that they had it in stock. Looked as if they've had it a while too. Also I get the "GMC dealer down the street" discount. I work at the dealership. Yes I know, everyone at work will give me crap once I get my BII on the road and drive it to work....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals