• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'98 1354 to '02 1354 Yoke swap ?

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to the great "read first" at the top of the page I discovered that I have two electric 1354's that I am swapping .
I got bogged down swapping a trans and transfer case when I discovered the rear yokes are different .
evidently the 02 has a different drive shaft ( aluminum? , mines steel ) evidently the bolt spacing distance is greater on the '02 than the smaller '98 driveshaft
Does anyone know for sure if the yokes will swap ?
The nuts and shaft threads MIC out the same , hopefully the splines match

I may be selling the extra 1354 if anyones interested, (and a 4r44 that needs rebuilt)

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I fail to understand why you don't simply put the original transfer case on the new transmission? What, 6 bolts? OK, it's heavy, but it ain't all that bad. Keep the 02 as a spare (knowing you'll have to swap the yoke to use it) or sell it. Was your old one bad? Is the bolt pattern different where it mates to the trans?

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I fail to understand why you don't simply put the original transfer case on the new transmission? What, 6 bolts? OK, it's heavy, but it ain't all that bad. Keep the 02 as a spare (knowing you'll have to swap the yoke to use it) or sell it. Was your old one bad? Is the bolt pattern different where it mates to the trans?

I guess thats a good option, probably easier than wrestling with the yoke nut thanks !

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yokes are the same in regards to alum or steel. 98 has a smaller bolt pattern on the yoke. And yes the yoke is swappable(from the 98 to the 02 tcase).

But...as said above, why mess with it? you know yours is good, use it. Makes installation alot easier without that extra 150lbs hanging off hte trans too.

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yokes are the same in regards to alum or steel. 98 has a smaller bolt pattern on the yoke. And yes the yoke is swappable(from the 98 to the 02 tcase). But...as said above, why mess with it? you know yours is good, use it. Makes installation alot easier without that extra 150lbs hanging off hte trans too.
thanks but part of it is that i already have the '02 trans & Tcase installed. The man I bought it from said he had it in his garage for 4 years after yanking it out of a roll over with 40,000 miles,(mine has 140,000) all the wires were snipped (good sign). I figger it might be worth having one with 100,000 less miles

I just got the yokes off. had to go buy a 1&3/16" socket (of course it was in between the 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 ones I have)
The nut came off fairly easy with heat and my 1/2" craftsy impact and antique 100psi compressor after heating up the green loctite with a propane torch.
For a holding tool I just drilled(3) 1/2" , holes in a steel concrete form stake (from a building supply).

After getting the nut off the yoke doesnt want to pull out but Once the rubber seal comes off past the threads,, the yoke slips right out
At this point , I'd say it has to be a toss-up with the TCase swap; easier than I expected having cussed out a few yoke nuts before

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
gotterdun.
I had to make another trip to the otto parts store and get some green loctiite for the yoke nut and driveshaft bolts
and a better 12 point socket for the motherless driveshaft bolts

thanks for help everyone ! :icon_cheers:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why didnt you just swap drive shafts much easier?

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i didn't have the '02 driveshaft, just the trans and T-case. besides I would have had to swap the larger yoke on to the '98 rear end also

i got it all running and so far so good :icon_bounceblue:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'98 tcase rear output flanges have a 3.5" bolt pattern. 99+ tcase rear output flanges have a 4" bolt pattern. Why buy a $100 rear shaft when you can just swap flanges? The flange in question, is what the rear shaft bolts to on the Tcase.

It's not much easier either....8 bolts versus one nut. lol.

*My measurements are just from what I remember, I'm not too certain of their accuracy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals