• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

running a little hot in idle

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is a quote from the Evan's website promo. It makes sense to me in that without the addition of water in the mix, you have to alter the cooling system in order to keep the temperatures in a reasonable operating range, bigger radiator, more open flow, etc. Remember, propylene is thicker and flows slower.

The addition of water to glycols acts kind of like a catylist, or activator to change the characteristics of the chemicals and how they work in the system. And water isn't a problem if you use distilled water.

It has been my experience that in many cases, if not most, a removed thermostat will make the engine run cooler than normal, and especially in winter. One exception to this is the early flathead Ford V8's, but they had two water pumps, which caused the proplem. Restricting the flow in these engines would make them operate at normal temps.

Also, in those days, antifreeze wasn't that available, or affordable, and the vehicles ran pure water. Many were not pressurized systems, and the water would boil out requiring frequent filling of the cooling system, a service performed at all service stations in those days.

In some cases, some engines still run too cold in winter, even with a thermostat, and some type of restriction has to be used in front of the radiator. I have never seen an engine run hotter without the thermostat that had a properly maintained cooling system. :icon_cheers:shady

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
So Bob is hoisting the BS flag on me because he knows more about waterless coolants than the guy who invented them? That is truly amazing... :rolleyes:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So Bob is hoisting the BS flag on me because he knows more about waterless coolants than the guy who invented them? That is truly amazing... :rolleyes:

No, I hoisted the BS flag for this:

"The EG+water mix is a COMPROMISE, and Prestone, Zerex, etc. LOVE it, because the water DEGRADES their product, requiring REPLACEMENT every 2 years... it's what the bean-counters call "revenue stream" from "consumables"."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals