• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

removing head liner

Cutter26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How hard is it to get the head liner out of a extended cab. I have some sagging and want to recover my headliner. My buddy did his half ton headliner in camo, and said hed give me a hand to do mine.

83bagged

January 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
shouldnt be hard, just pull the dome light, sun visors, pillars, and the back panels and it comes out easy

oh and also pull the o crap handle if you have one lol

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Yep; pull those trim items to get it loose, but Super Cabs are a little tricky to get the liner out of the truck. Because it's a longer headliner, it's a little tough to twist it enough to line up with, and out through the door. For me, pulling the seats helped make it easier.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
well, they didn't have the seats in when they installed it, so that does make the most sense... it all depends on if you are ok with a crease in your head liner or not.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How hard is it, and what's all involved in removing the pillar and back pieces?

Thanks

Allen

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just some screws. they are all visible to. the o crap handles have small like rubber covers over the screws. just go outside and keep up with what screw went where. it aint hard man

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yep; pull those trim items to get it loose, but Super Cabs are a little tricky to get the liner out of the truck. Because it's a longer headliner, it's a little tough to twist it enough to line up with, and out through the door. For me, pulling the seats helped make it easier.
Going to rip the fabric off mine today, may not have time to remove the whole liner, but it is sagging enough that it touches my head and that is annoying!

Thinking about pulling passenger seat only or maybe just sliding/folding it forward to remove the headliner, anybody try it in 1987 SuperCab with the seats in?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i did mine with the seats in, only thing that would've really helped would have been to pull the steering wheel. getting the whole thing out was a royal pain. also don't count on using any of the plastic push pins again as i had to destroy all but 2 of them the get them out. it's not a terrible job, just don't get in a hurry. i had to be real delicate pulling the old fabric off as it was trying to pull the actuall headliner apart.
the easier way would be to do it with the headliner in the truck. you'd still have to pull almost everything loose, but you wouldn't have to fight with it trying to get it out of the truck. I actually ended up having to redo the front half of mine about 3 days later. the 3m adhesive i used didn't hold very well. Anyways i did it with the headliner still in the truck and it was actually pretty easy. just be sure to use some good adhesive or be ready to redo it shortly. I reccommend the permatex stuff. it was actually cheaper than the 3m stuff and worked about 10 times better.
one more tip is put more than 1 coat of the adhesive on both materials and be sure to let it set up for about 5-10 minutes before sticking the fabric on.

Last edited:

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea i forgot about the steering wheel problem i had, LMAO, but IT IS possible man!

and ive been using the 3M glue for about 4 years on tweed interiors, and to this day ive never had any complaints aboput sagging or it coming up. havent tried that permatex stuff. but i have SOOOO much faith in the 3M....

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bryan22,

Pulled all my fabric off the other night...came off real easy with the liner still in the truck. I'm surprised that the foam layer underneath looks great...,.thought it would be all decomposed and crumbling to crap! That's a good idea to not pull the main piece out just do it in the truck with all the trim peices removed....did it that way in my Toyota pup and it worked pretty good.

Which exact 3M spray adhesive did you use?

What fabric did you use and where did you buy it? There's Jo Ann's Fabrics here in town...and another big one that I dont recall the name at the moment....

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i went to joanns and got the healiner material. it's a foam/fabric combination. you can use that like i did to cover up any spots where the old foam came apart from the headliner. or just use some plain fabric(it's cheaper) with the old foam. I used 3m super 77, which wasn't worth a $h!t. like i said, i'd try to find that permatex stuff, it specifically says it's for headliners and carpet.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
to answer you question allen, you have to pull the screws and push pins from the plastics on the pillars, they come right off. for the back of my 94 i had to remove about 5 push pins from each side, 6 screws that held the center peice (under the rear window) and the 4 torx bolts that hold the seat belts it.

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Which exact 3M spray adhesive did you use?
use the 3m general spray adhesive or the super spray ahesive, should be in a white can at advance auto parts. like $12

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, will check which 3M spray adhesive that I already have....iirc it's the Headliner and carpet type. Still need to pick up some fabric.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals