• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overhead Console Mod Temp Sensor

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK, so I pulled an Overhead console from an explorer yesterday, but I'll be damned if I could find the temp sensor. The tech article said on the passenger side rad support, but I couldn't see it. Does anyone have a picture of where to look, or anything else to go on?

LITTLE FOOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is located around the front radiator
support. You may find it by opening the driver headlight door under the
hood and looking down. It looks like a very short cigar held in with a
pushclip.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You can ID the sensor by the color codes - blue/yellow and blue/white. Be sure to get the harness connector and a few inches of wiring.

[Note: Some Explorers also have similar sensor up front for the EATC climate control. It has different colors and will not work with the console.]

This pic shows 2 versions of the console temp sensor/connector that have been used in Gen 2 (95~01) Explorers. Either assembly can be used for the Ranger console mod.

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hrm. I'll have to go back for another look. I was having trouble even finding the wires that lead to it, but then again it was -25°C and the wind was blowing in my face, so I didn't really get a good look. Maybe if I yank the rad out, it'll be easier to find?

LITTLE FOOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you dont have to take it out, it should just be held on the front by a push clip

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
Hrm. I'll have to go back for another look. I was having trouble even finding the wires that lead to it, but then again it was -25°C and the wind was blowing in my face, so I didn't really get a good look. Maybe if I yank the rad out, it'll be easier to find?
just mentioning the -25 celcius is excuse enough to not looking more than a min. or two... you are a brave/stupid man.

(just remember, there is a fine line between brave and stupid... it's always best to cover all the angles, no insult intended)

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just mentioning the -25 celcius is excuse enough to not looking more than a min. or two... you are a brave/stupid man.

(just remember, there is a fine line between brave and stupid... it's always best to cover all the angles, no insult intended)
No offence taken...when you spend your whole life in the Great White North, -25 is just the tip of the iceberg :D you get used to it.

Ger42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago it was +39 F here and I was wearing my down winter jacket I used when I lived in up state New York. We left in 2003. I cannot take the cold. I lived in CT, VT, IL, Ny until I was 61 and now 60 F is cold to me.
-25 I'd be dead.
Gerry

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Don't blame you for not finding it. I couldn't find it either. I guess I got lucky because when I bought the console, I was walking away and found another explorer that smashed head on. Lucky for me, the only wires that was still hanging there was the Temp sensor wires and the temp sensor.

Solid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i pulled my temp sensor it was on the driver side, not the passenger side

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals