• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 4x4 Speedometer Issue

driehldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1996 Ford Ranger
4.0l, 4x4, Manual Trans

Hey Everyone, thanks in advance for the help TRS has given me over the last few years of ranger ownership. I can normally find all of my issues addressed somewhere on here.

Now to my current problem,

My speedometer/odometer seem to only work when the truck is cold. As soon as it's warmed up the speedometer drops to 0 with the occasional spike up to the proper speed and the odometer stops turning over.

I have already replaced the VSS and this did not remedy the issue. It seemed a little more sporadic in the summertime so I figured that was the issue, but now with it around 0 degrees it works fine until the truck is fully warmed up every time.

I do have a scanguage II which plugs into the OBDII and gives me the proper speed readout even when the speedometer/odometer drops to 0.

The rest of the cluster seems completely unaffected by this.

The cruise control still works fine even when the speedometer is reading 0.

I'm pretty sure it has to be something to do with the speedometer itself in the cluster because its still reading the correct speed from OBDII and cruise works aswell as all the other cluster readings.

Any advice?

driehldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bump. Anything?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The speedo on your truck is run by an electric motor in the speedo itself. More than likely, it is bad. Happens all the time.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Sounds like time for a cluster swap to make it easy. Good way to get a tach if you don't have but do want one....

Of course that breaks the odometer..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals