• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"best" rebuilt 4r44e trans?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
just bought a 97 2wd longbed with a 3.0 automatic (for $500!) haven't drove it yet but have heard that 1st gear was slipping when it was parked 9 months ago, I'm not a fan of automatics but figure it will be quicker and easier to just drop another automatic in, want to know if anyone knows a good source. I'm sure it will be at least 1500 but I don't want to go to the trouble of a junkyard trans swap only to get one just as bad or worse. truck has 180,000 miles on it, so not surprised the trans might be bad. for 500, I couldn't pass it up

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have time and space to rebuild it yourself? I just did an A4LD, fairly painless and I know they are similar Trannies

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I do have time and space, but no experience rebuilding a automatic. I took apart a bad trans from a s10 blazer a few years ago and was amazed at all the stuff inside a automatic. I plan on using this to get firewood and do some light towing, so it needs to be in good shape. I'm even going to swap out the 7.5 rear end with 3.45s for a 8.8 with 4.10s to help the performance of the 3.0

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes the A4LD is pretty much the same trans as 4R44E and 5R44E

4R means 4 speed
5R is 5 speed, but still only 4 speeds really :)

44 means for 4cyl or smaller V6

55 means for 4.0l engines

E is for full electronic shifting

read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-transmission-transfer-case.shtml

Especially the A4LD Automatic Transmission article, it will tell you what you may get as a "rebuilt trans", which will fall apart in 12 to 18 months, and what you SHOULD make sure you get as a rebuilt trans, i.e. new Ford Pump and one-way clutch

Cheap rebuild is what people do when selling a vehicle, lol

One heads up, these 4R/5R transmissions lost speedometer cable hookup around 1998 and if you have a 2WD then you will need that for a 1997, 4WD used transfer case hook up so not an issue unless changing transfer case as well.
1998 -2000 Rangers use rear axle sensor for speedometer

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals