• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body Mount Bushings for a ’92 Ranger Custom?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

Recently picked up a ’92 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 and A4LD trans. Before I even bought it, I noticed that the bottom bushings (between the bottom of the frame and the retaining washer/nut) were blown on the passenger’s side (must have been a chunky monkey riding shotgun in the past - lol).

The truck rides like an iron horse whenever it hits a pothole without a load on the back (partly due to the leaf springs, I’m sure). If I replace the bushings, does anyone think it will help any with the ride? The shocks look okay (not new, not old). I’m also thinking of replacing the bushings with rubber ones instead of poly, in order to help a little with the ride (I have a bad back). Does anyone have any thoughts on that choice and what the better brands are/where to buy them? I probably won’t be putting a lift kit in any time soon, as I’m pretty happy with where she sits stock.

Thanks! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can still get the rubber bushings and hardware from LMC. They are not cheap though.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can still get the rubber bushings and hardware from LMC. They are not cheap though.
I see what you mean. It’s a real pain in the butt to add up all the individual pieces of hardware and rubber on their site, rather than being able to just order a complete kit. Out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there in the ride between rubber and poly bushings? And what kind of life expectancy would rubber ones have, if not used for off-roading? I’m assuming that the ones on the truck are original and it’s 26 years old, so I’m quite happy with that, even if they failed a while ago...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't have any issues with the way my truck rides with polys. I have actually had a few people tell me they are surprised by how nice it rides for a 30 year old truck.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On a related note, does anyone have any tried-and-tested methods for replacing the bushings by oneself? I don’t currently have access to a chain hoist or anything, so I’m thinking maybe to get a one-ton jack and a biggggggg stack of framing lumber (which I have in spades). The idea being to loosen all of the bushing retaining nuts, then place the jack/lumber under one the body near one bushing at a time. Jack things up, slip in a bushing and new bolt, rinse and repeat. Then snug things up once all are in place. Thoughts?

Also, I’d like to put some Never Seize on the new bolts, but I’ve read that Ford put red Locktite on them in the factory. Can I assume that they’d work loose without it?

Thanks!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That's how I did it; used a floor jack and a 2x4 and did one at a time.

I did have to cut them all off with a sawzall, as the bolts were seized to the sleeves.

I used the poly bushings and I feel like it rides fine. Not too rough

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I didn't even stack the first time. I stuck a 2 foot piece of 4x4 on end between the cab floor and the jack head and went to town on that bad boy

The second time, when I did all of them, and not just the rotten ones, I took the whole cab off. With just a few ratchet straps and an engine hoist.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Also, I’d like to put some Never Seize on the new bolts, but I’ve read that Ford put red Locktite on them in the factory. Can I assume that they’d work loose without it?
I haven't done mine yet. But based on several reports that they seize inside the bushing sleeves, I would recommend anti-seize on the portion inside the sleeve and loctite where the nut will be. One the other hand, What are the chances that you will ever have to do this job a second time?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
From my personal experience on the big trucks, anti-sieze on the unthreaded portion of the bolts, thread locker on the threads, and paint on everything under the floor pan.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't done mine yet. But based on several reports that they seize inside the bushing sleeves, I would recommend anti-seize on the portion inside the sleeve and loctite where the nut will be. One the other hand, What are the chances that you will ever have to do this job a second time?
Right on. As for the reason, I’m a fan of Never Seize on things. Plus, if I ever decide to put a small lift in the truck, I don’t wanna struggle. :beer:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From my personal experience on the big trucks, anti-sieze on the unthreaded portion of the bolts, thread locker on the threads, and paint on everything under the floor pan.
Sounds like good advice to me.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I used that black kit on my truck and used new 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Worked great.

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
It's my understanding that the factory bushings are two pieces press fit together. Sandwiching the frame mount between them. So that the sleeve on the inside can ride up and down with the compression of the bushing.

I looked into the products from LMC.. way too much for the low budget I have.. so tractor supply it was. Grade 8 by the pound. I bought the replacement bushings from ebay. And 3" body lift block set.

The sleeves-
I made these from grade 8 washers and steel tubing. welded the washer to one end of the upper sleeve and weld the one to the lower sleeve. When complete the two parts slid into each other. No press fit.. but tight enough for no slop.. when I put the cab back on the frame all I had to do was place the upper sleeve and bushing on the frame. Drop the bolts through and then slide the lower bushing and sleeve into place.

$30 bucks in Grade 8 and a little time..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals