• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 bw 1354 vs 2000+ bw 1354

Skooks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I just bought a factory new transfer case for my truck and mistakenly thought that all the 98+ electric shift transfer cases were the same, but I've noticed that the cup for the front driveshaft is slightly different, as well as in the tech guide the newer ones supposedly don't have shift on the fly 4x4, which I can live without. Will this new case bolt to my M50D-R1 and my front drive shaft and play nice with the 4x4 computer or should I just return it? It won't let me upload any images so I made an imgur albm. Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/0QXex

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mid-2000 they likely deleted the front driveshaft shift-on-the-fly spin-up clutch at the same time they deleted the PVH hubs and went to live spindles. So that's probably the main difference.

Hard to tell whatever the difference is in your pics (I was not even aware there was any difference in the driveshafts). If you still got both t-cases on hand, I suspect you can swap the output from your old case into the new one if the driveshaft isn't compatible with the new one.

Assuming you've deleted the problematic PVH hubs off your frontend for pretty much any other option, the lack of the spin-up clutch I don't think would be an issue. At most you would need to put something to 'fool' the computer into thinking the clutch's electromagnetic coil is still connected (a resistor or perhaps an incandescent taillight bulb maybe). Just don't ever try to engage it while doing 60 mph with unlocked hubs :icon_surprised:

Skooks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks. I did replace the vacuum hubs with the rugged ridge hubs. The part #s for the driveshafts seem to be the same, it's just that the cup/flange thing the the driveshaft mounts to seems slightly different in design. You can see that while the old transfer case flange has a consistent conical taper, the new one has a ring machined out on it. I guess if the driveshafts are the same then it should work either way though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals