• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case question - Borg-Warner 13-54

Adam33

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have a transfer case which I believe is based on the Borg-Warner 13-54 transfer case (see pictures) From my research I believe the Borg-Warner 13-54 transfer case was used from 1983 to 1995 on the Bronco II, Explorers from 91-94 and 1980s Rangers (not sure of exact years).

What I want to know is if they ever made a top mode fork in metal and not plastic? Are there any metal forks that are compatible with the 13-54 transfer case? I know the pre 1993 13-56 transfer case on the Bronco has a metal mode fork, but will this work in a 13-54 transfer case? What options do I have if I want a metal mode fork in a Borg-Warner 13-54 case? Did the early Rangers have metal forks?

Here are a few pics of the transfer case and plastic mode fork:

jdm4721

Reaction score
I think my 99 Ranger has a 1354

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

samkat6865

Reaction score
I believe my 02 has the 13-54. But what is your t/c issue? Mine used to pop into nuetral from 2HI, only on the freeway when coasting.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
You keep asking the same question.. 2 user names and you're getting the same answer..
I've got over 250k on my 1354e and that's probably the only part of the truck I've never had a problem with.
If it's not broke leave it alone.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Neither the 1350 or 1354 are known for breaking, people adapt them to put behind 302's all the time and they live fine for the most part. I have broke one but it was not the cases fault... driveline locked up and the axle pushed the shaft hard enough forward to break the rear output bearing snap ring groove off and the aluminum got ground up in the chain... still worked fine but was bound up enough that it didn't want to shift out of 4x and the chunk of aluminum stuck in the chain made a vibration...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals