• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil priming 2.5

Coho Don

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Got the rebuilt engine back from the machine shop. The machinist who did the work said to fill the oil filter up screw it onto the engine tilted on its side on the engine stand and then tilt it 180 degrees the other way and that should prime the pump and then crank the engine once in the vehicle, with plugs out until the oil pressure goes up. I did that but no oil pressure. I cranked on it for about 15 seconds three times and once for about 30 seconds. Not wanting to run it any more like that, I took the oil pump out and primed it and ran it with a 1/2 inch impact on the oil pump until I snapped the pulley bolt off. I then slotted a socket to fit over the pin and drove it with a drill until I got oil up to the cam. I'm waiting for a new oil pump to come in to complete the job. The question I have is what kind of damage, if any, could have happened.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You snapped pulley bolt off?

As long as there are no holes in the oil pump pickup tube and end is submerged in oil it will self prime.

Filling up the oil filter, installing it and then tilting the engine would only work if oil filter had no back flow preventer valves, which most do
And in any case any oil running back to pump would just drain out when engine was vertical again.

Yes filling oil filter up is not a bad idea to get oil pumping sooner but no one does that on a oil change so..................

rebuild will have assembly lube on all the parts that need oil like oil changed engine has oil on the same parts.

Why you didn't get oil pumping is odd.
I would usually pull oil pressure sender, turn engine/oil pump(in the right direction!) until oil started to come out sender hole, oil filter and main passage full at that time, then replace sender and install engine.
Crank it with starter a few times with no spark or no fuel, to top up oil in passages and then start engine for first time.

I doubt you did damage but concern would be why it didn't pump oil instantly

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals