• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ranger

ptofimpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 l
Transmission
Manual
Preparing to remove factory radio, have the removal Tool, and know how the Dash Bezel comes off, just need help with Headlight Knob, how to take off??

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If I recall correctly, there is a little spring clip that holds the knob on. If you can get something to get in behind the knob and depress the spring, it will come off easily.

Usually, if you pull hard enough, the knob will come off and leave the clip behind. Then you can just poke the clip back into the knob and push it all onto the shaft for reinstallation. I've done it that way a few times and never had a loose knob. But it's possible that it would start to loosen up after a while and not stay on. It's a lot easier to understand once you see it apart.

Eric B

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The headlight knob doesn't need to come off to get the bezel off... it's on it's own bracket that's screwed to the dash. For the dash surround to come out, take the two ashtray screws out (7mm if memory serves... I don't have either screw holding mine in...) then remove ash tray, it just pulls out with a fairly strong detent in the back. From there just pry outward as there's like 6 spring clips holding the rest in, pretty simple, I've had mine out dozens of times over the last 19 years...

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The headlight knob doesn't need to come off to get the bezel off... it's on it's own bracket that's screwed to the dash. For the dash surround to come out, take the two ashtray screws out (7mm if memory serves... I don't have either screw holding mine in...) then remove ash tray, it just pulls out with a fairly strong detent in the back. From there just pry outward as there's like 6 spring clips holding the rest in, pretty simple, I've had mine out dozens of times over the last 19 years...
Actually I believe that there is a screw behind the strip where the headlight knob is. You don't need to remove the knob. If you pull the switch out "turn on the headlights", you can pull the clips out far enough to turn the strip and you will see the screw you need to remove.Don't leave the headlight switch on when you are done.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I haven't taken the headlight knob off since '99 when it broke in half and I super glued it back together and it's had two stereo's since then and a different instrument cluster along with screwing with the boost gauge where the 4x4 buttons would be... My Ranger is a base model though, it doesn't have the fancy surround with fake wood grain or anything, I added the cubby under the headlight switch from a junkyard find...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If I remember right, there’s a push button on the headlight switch body that releases the knob, it will actually kinda eject it. I ran into the problem with my choptop that the roll cage is too close to the dash to get the spring clips out for the panel, lol

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals